REGEX() expressions and an optional occurrence parameter for SUBSTITUTE()

@praveen @tony
Is it possible to have powerful expressions like:
REGEXMATCH() (returns a TRUE/FALSE)
REGEXEXTRACT() (returns TEXT)
REGEXREPLACE() (returns TEXT)

I’m aware that the EXTRACT() expression can perform alike but at the end this function returns a list and it’s a bit limited in nature.

Additionally we need an optional occurrence parameter for the SUBSTITUTE expression which can save us from creating nested SUBSTITUTE expressions where expressions can become cleaner.

SUBSTITUTE( text_to_search, search_for, replace_with, [occurrence_number] )

What do you think?

Status Under Review
48 12 3,920
12 Comments
GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

Yes, REGEX would be a huge upgrade for the current text-parsing abilities in AppSheet!

There are already 9 votes over on this request though:

I can definitely see this being useful. I agree the SUBSTITUTE() function is a bit limited.

I had a different idea for optional extra pairs of text_to_search, text_to_replace.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I don’t vote for many feature requests, but I voted for this one!

The downside: supporting them.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

That’s why Regex 101 is for @Steve. Regex is a very strong tool and a deep well yet, therefore if someone needs a solution, everyone need to make their hands dirty. We can only enlighten the path to the best of our knowledge here and we all are not magicians Thanks for your support btw, highly appreciated.

Austin
Gold 1
Gold 1

Gonna bump this to the front since I have no votes

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Under Review
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

UrosCadez
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

I agree 100%. Why can't you validate an input with a regular expression? Seems like a very common and straightforward thing to add to Appsheet. I could not believe it didn't have that.

Saddam
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I want to make restriction that if there is any special characters in this field then it will not be valid. for this I need this feature 

philippevg
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Was hoping this feature was already implemented - I too need this to validate phone number inputs.

fedeyobe
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yes! this would be really useful.

alejomgp
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Any update on this?