Reset on Edit

The ‘Reset on Edit’ setting is a great way to automatically set ‘Last Edited Date/Time’, ‘Last Edited By’, or ‘Recent Edit Notes’ values. For example, if you have a table of projects that may be updated frequently, use the ‘Reset on Edit’ feature to automatically ensure certain fields are refreshed with new values.

5 8 3,247
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Or use an app formula, which has the added advantage of preventing user modification of the value.

Does this have the same result if i change the value of a column with an action button?

I could use some specifics about when the reset is triggered. @Peter Could you reach out to someone on the engineering team, or perhaps you know, and fill in some blanks for me?

I’m wondering how this interacts with edits made by actions or workflows?

Take the following example:

• Say I have reset on edits turned on (=true)
    • Is that only for when the form opens?
    • Is that on EVERY edit?
    • Is it on every Save event?

Just looking to really tighten up how I’m clearing some form data - hopefully this will allow me to reduce the actions needed to accomplish this.

Good question, @MultiTech_Visions.

I believe if Reset On Edit = TRUE, then it will reset every time the row is edited via form, action or workflow- but NOT when edited via quick edit.

I’m not positive though, and there may be other cases. Interested to hear @Peter’s response as well.

@lizlynch, documentation of this feature remains sparse. I find only a single sentence in AppSheet help:

• Toggle that specifies whether this column should be reset to its initial value when the row is edited.

It's phrased categorically, but it would help to confirm the details of the behavior in the various methods that a "row is edited":

• Form
  • Quick edit in detail view
  • Quick edit in table view
  • Data change action in app
  • Data change action in automation
  • AppSheet API

Also, it would be helpful to have specifics regarding whether it's possible to Access column values before and after an update - AppSheet Help in a Reset on edit expression.

@dbaum Thank you for the ping! I will work with the team to improve the information. 

Thanks, @lizlynch. Here's a potential starting point for structure, content, etc.:  Reset on edit functionality explanation (draft in ... - Google Cloud Community

Wow, thank you @dbaum for your excellent insights, as always! 

Top Labels in this Space