Reset on edit?

Jeremy_F
Participant V
  1. In the “Reset on edit?”, what does the initial value refer to? Is it the first value that was entered when the row was created? or what is set in the initial value?

2. I need the “Reset on edit?” to be triggered only when a specific column changes(not row change)

0 37 7,292
37 REPLIES 37

Chris_Jeal
Participant V

Hi Felix,

You can use the initial value of “” if you want the cell to be reset to blank, and then within the Reset on Edit formula you can then create a trigger.

For instance, if you want the cell to reset to blank when column A has the value of ABC then try the following within the formula field:

Contains([column A],“ABC”)

This will then trigger the reset.

Hope this helps.

Hey,
This definitely helps in setting the initial value, but on the trigger part - it is not exactly what I want

Case Scenario - I have like 5 dependent dropdowns all dependent on the main column. now, I want to reset the the “minor” columns after I change the value of the main/first column.
I was hopping to trigger the reset if only if the first column changes to a different value

I would expect Reset on edit to take effect when the app user enters a form, not as the user makes changes within the form.

I would expect Reset on edit to apply the Initial value expression to the column when the user enters the form.

Normal behavior for the Initial value expression is that it will be continuously reevaluated as the user interacts with the form, until and unless the user interacts with that column itself. Once the user interacts with a column subject to an initial value, the initial value expression will no longer be reevaluated, leaving the user’s input to the column unmodified.

In that case, I don’t really see the benefit of having an expression to trigger the “reset on edit” function. unless I didn’t understand how it exactly works

To solve the same issue, how can I have an action trigger immediately a specific column changes? - Is there a specific expression I can use to record change in a specific column?

Actions cannot be applied to forms at all. The best you can do within a form is make use of initial values and app formulas.

Not an expression, but you can use a Change column to track changes to specific columns.

@Jeremy_F
Actually you can do that with a couple of tricks. Please take a look at my sample app below. Scroll down on the home menu untill you see the deck item Maurice Whelan. Click on it and you will see a table menu with one record. Edit that record and change the DATE_FOR_TREATMENT field. You will notice that, the new value will be added to the list of CHANGED_DATES. This was a community query by @MauriceWhelan who was asking if he can keep track of date changes in a particular table of his app.

You are free to download this app from my portfolio > https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/245151

Reading up on old stuff, but just want to say that I find this “reset on edit” -function very usefull.
In my APP I have a Y/N switch to determen if an action should fire a specific report or not. First time you enter data to the Form, I want that action to fire, but next time you edit the form I dont want that to happen since its already sent. So I use this feature to reset to NO, so it doesent fire the next time… Cool;)

@Jeremy_F I believe you are looking something like this.
Write a formula into the “Reset on edit”…
LOOKUP([_THISROW].[KeyCol],TableName,KeyColumn,SpecificCol)<>[SpecificCol].
It will reset your column’s value as you had it in the beginning every time when you change SpecificCol’s value. If the initial value is set as blank, it will clear that column when you modify SpecificCol’s value.

This is almost the exact expression that I need, but I have set the “reset on edit” with the expression more than 10 times, and saved the new changes. When I open the column, the expression isn’t there
Basically, it seems “reset on edit” behavior doesn’t support expressions
N.B - I am viewing this data on a detail view and I have set initial value as blank

Kindly check if the “reset on edit” behavior actually supports expressions or it is a bug

It’s pretty crazy, I was scratching my head the whole day trying to figure out why my detail view ‘quick edit’ column wasn’t resetting, and your formula did the trick. I cant thank you enough Aleksi.

You’re welcome

I believe this works as long as the record already exists in the database? does it work for new records?

Perfect for my purpose. Thank you very much!

Hi, it worked perfectly for values within the same table. But I would like to make this work between different tables too, like when I modify e value on a certain column of a table, it will reset all the values of a column of another table.

Would you know how to achieve this?

Please let me know. Thanks.

What was the expression you tried? I tested the functionality and it’s working correctly.

I derived my repression from your example, and used LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Uniqa],Filter,Uniqa,Analyze_Data)<>[Analyze_Data]

However, when I save and check the column again, the “reset on edit” is ON, but there is no expression

When you save the formula and it resets the field, you can check the reason from Info > Errors > Warnings.

Thanks for that tip, but there are no errors

The column is a enum type, and the view is detail.
To be sure that the problem is not with the other “update behavior” functions, I used a condition “False” on both “require” and the “reset on edit”.
The “require” maintained its expression, but the “reset on edit” shows ON, but without the “False” expression

Would you please take a printscreen…

here it is

And I have like this…

Hey,

I have tested it again, and still same issue - it resets to a universal “reset on edit”

When I use the expression on a text type column, it retains the expression
In my ideal case, it an enum type column with select function on the validif - When I use the same expression, it resets to the universal “reset on edit”

I was able to reproduce the same behavior. It seems that it won’t work with Enum field. You can though use the text field with a Valid_If formula as a workaround. I will check what could be the reason for this behavior.

It should work but for some reason it’s not doing this in a correct way. I asked our developers to check this one.

Jeremy_F
Participant V

Thanks, I almost thought I am doing something wrong

Hi @Aleksi
I can report the same bug as @Jeremy_F
I have a column with type Ref. I can enter a formula in the “Reset on Edit”. But after saving, the formula is gone and the “Rest on Edit” will be just enabled.
I don’t think I can use a workaround. I will need Column Type Ref with an Formula in “Reset on Edit”.

@Fabian Thanks for this info. I will ask what is the status with this issue.

I did see exactly same behaviour today, the change in enum type column won’t trigger edit on change.

Seems to work now also for REF types.

Skip2MiLu
Participant V

Hi

Is this still an issue or has been resolved. I am curious if this is the reason I am also experiencing the same thing and wondered if anyone has come right?

I am trying to have the Country reset when the Business line is not GLEAM, but this is not working. Any suggestions? (Request Id is the key to the GRO Requests table.)

LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Request Id],GRO Requests,Request Id,Business Line)<>[“GLEAM”].

I never tried such a feature
Can you try that instead ?
3X_2_f_2f80c4c3ed765fb41ff6eb574e5a9beb1bfbce3a.png

LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Request Id],"GRO Requests","Request Id","Business Line")
<>“GLEAM”

For reference:

EDIT: I changed the [_THISROW_BEFORE] into a [_THISROW] as it may be not relevant.
However, syntax of the Lookup Expression seems incorrect in your initial post

This suggestion fixed my concern from a dependant dropdown.

Thanks for the response but it did not work. I was hoping that when I toggled the Business Line away from the GLEAM enum that the Country value would be cleared, but it is still not.

This post reminded me of the need for a glossary of terms.  I wrote about this earlier but, unless I'm mistaken, no such glossary exists at the moment:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Release-Notes/August-9-2021/bc-p/232355/highlight/true#M208

I have a column with consecutives numbers as receipt using app formula = 1+count(select(unique[ID],True)). When i need to edit a row, the problem is that this field ejecute the formula again and change de number of th receipt. Is there a solution for this? i want to change other columns but mantain this field without changes. thanks!!

well. i solved the problem. i put the formule as initial value and set de column non editable. 

Top Labels in this Space