Respect `USERROLE()` in App Editor's 'Preview App as' feature

The Preview App as feature in App Editor is not respecting ‘USERROLE()’ - It only respects ‘USEREMAIL()’

This is request to make the ‘Preview App as’ feature to respect USERROLE
In practice, when the editor is missing to acknowledge USERROLE() seems more like a bug than a missing feature

Status Open
9 7 471
7 Comments
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

As an alternative to using the UserRole() feature, you could implement your own user-class system by including a User table and a slice that pulls out a user’s specific record - from that you can easily get the role:

INDEX(Current_User[User_Role], 1)

Sid_dev
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

This USERROLE() behavior is now fixed () & is working as expected.
Meaning, the App editor now respects the role defined per user, when you have shared the app individually with the user

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Svencc
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

I have just had the seemingly same issue as the original message of @ni_developer .

The preview seems to use the user e-mail in the "USEREMAIL()" function that you enter in the field at the bottom, but the "USERROLE()" function seems to use the role of the account with which you are logged in the AppSheet configurator and definitely not the role of the email specified. This is not as I would expect and is a serious obstacle in testing the application I am building as I do not have multiple Google accounts in my domain.

What is the status of this in the AppSheet developer team? I think it should be changed in a way that allows the testing of an application with the preview in a way that developers would expect.

I would appreciate a response about the status of this issue. Have a nice day.

JPAlpano
Silver 4
Silver 4

@Sid_dev , I agree with Svencc.   
The Preview App As still uses the role of the account logged in, not the role of the user email entered in the box.
Will we expect this to be fixed?

SHL
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

This issue still exists. And makes me frustrated each time as i need to evaliate a lot of admin related access expressions in the app. Dear Appsheet team please,  do fix this. If it's hard for you to fetch user roles from the other service (IMHO), then you can just add a roles drop-down at Preview As control, so we can arbitrary select/set the desired role for test.

Erix_Xtric
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Up !

This issue is still there !

Please, can you fix it !!