REST API Connection

blueocean
Participant V

Hi,

I am wondering is there a way to connect to a data source through a REST API service. I know there is the webhook option, but that is not what I am looking for. I have a table in a server that has been pushed into a rest api service, and I wonโ€™t to connect to that service.

0 7 5,435
7 REPLIES 7

You can use Google App Script to connect to such a service (use urlfetchapp) and set up timed triggers to push or pull data from your app. If you need to do this on demand from the app, you can set up an action button that can trigger the same script.

Hi,

Is there a demonstration out there for this? Would you happen to have an example of the action script?

Hereโ€™s one for starters - although it may not be specific enough for your needs, you can go through it and post here if you get stuck:

Hi

After about 2 weeks of tinkering I managed to get the concept to work, but it wasnโ€™t practical. However here is hoping that appsheet creators saw this and will make use of it in the future. Thanks for your help!

I have the same issue and I can see that the same question comes up in different contexts but it boils down to having an additional REST API CRUD web service data source in addition to google, Smartsheet, SQL etc.

The service interface would be acting as a virtual table, a proxy between Appsheet and the external data source. Making this feature would open Appsheet to any data source and greatly widen the number and type of systems that could be integrated with Appsheet.

Obviously Appsheet cannot support all systems that provide web services with their custom API. Therefore Appsheet should define an interface that integrators can implement and thereby become an integral part of Appsheet applications.

Thank you in advance and I hope you will seriously consider this suggestion.

Kindly Ole Erecius

I m with your idea, REST API, as a data source, get data from an external source and consume data within Appsheet.
Reading data (GET) should be easy-peasy one, but other verbs sounds bit tricky. All the API should have own setting, how to pass the value to params, body to conduct CRUD operation. In that sense, still we need to instruct Appsheet how to pass the value to whichend point etc. So technically, it sounds difficult for any service to natively fill those to the API call to the external service.

In the meantime, all of my appsheet data are originated from my SQL server. Sometime, I wish to consume those data for other purpose. (aprat from Appsheet)

Then we can use GAS, google app script, to get the data from sql to googlesheet, but to save my time, I m using Google Sheet extension, like this.

https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/api_connector/95804724197

I put the appsheet url endpoint with auth, and get the data from Appsheet (redirected to my sql). The beauty calling Appsheet api rather than directly retrieve data from SQL is we can get even value from virtual column.

Sorry, Ole, we are talking about the same/similar subject you posted in other place, but use this googlesheet something like a virtual table to bridge a service and b service.

I have not tested before, but we refer to this virtual table on googlesheet, then combining the Appsheet api to do CRUD, it might work.

I know this is not ideal and perfect though.

Thanks again for your creative thoughts.

It would actually be totally transparent to the AppSheet creator once the connection to the web service is made.

Appsheet already use web service interface to the Smartsheet API but it is not generic.

The generic version would implement an interface to retrieve the column names and types and from there everything is basically just generic CRUD operations.

This would be a limited task on Appsheet side and would need simple integration work on the web service side. That being done you could use that data source in all Appsheet apps fully transparently using the standard AppSheet way.

My data IS in Smartsheet so I have no choice to store it elsewhere.

Kindly

Ole Erecius

2X_c_cbe8a072fbd7061477f16b8aaa2981a464c787d3.jpeg
tsuji_koichi

December 27

I m with your idea, REST API, as a data source, get data from an external source and consume data within Appsheet.
Reading data (GET) should be easy-peasy one, but other verbs sounds bit tricky. All the API should have own setting, how to pass the value to params, body to conduct CRUD operation. In that sense, still we need to instruct Appsheet how to pass the value to whichend point etc. So technically, it sounds difficult for any service to natively fill those to the API call to the external service.

In the meantime, all of my appsheet data are originated from my SQL server. Sometime, I wish to consume those data for other purpose. (aprat from Appsheet)

Then we can use GAS, google app script, to get the data from sql to googlesheet, but to save my time, I m using Google Sheet extension, like this.

https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/api_connector/95804724197

I put the appsheet url endpoint with auth, and get the data from Appsheet (redirected to my sql). The beauty calling Appsheet api rather than directly retrieve data from SQL is we can get even value from virtual column.

Sorry, Ole, we are talking about the same/similar subject you posted in other place, but use this googlesheet something like a virtual table to bridge a service and b service.

I have not tested before, but we refer to this virtual table on googlesheet, then combining the Appsheet api to do CRUD, it might work.

I know this is not ideal and perfect though.

Top Labels in this Space