Returning to previous view

BobG
Participant III

I have a table and the main view has 2 grouping levels, When I initially activate the table view I get a grouping of the categories in the first grouping level. I select the grouping I need to work in which brings me to the second grouping level view as it was intended to do. From there I go to a Detail view for quick edits and have an action button change some column data. I would like to be able to just have the action button via a โ€œGrouped: Execute a Series of Actionsโ€ to return me to the previous screen like the back arrow in the header bar does, but I get returned to the 1st level grouping view instead. Is there a way to emulate the back arrow action or somehow modify the โ€œLink To Viewโ€ to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help on this.

1 4 1,338
4 REPLIES 4

Yes you can but its a little complex. There is no easy button

You can construct a deep link to return to the desired group level. While in your app when you navigate between levels you will notice the URL components change. For example here is an app that is at the top level of a group. I have bolded part of the url that creates the group.

#appName=TaskApp-861308
&group=%5B%7B"Column"%3A"Project+ID"%2C"Order"%3A"Ascending"%7D%2C%7B"Column"%3A"_RowNumber"%2C"Order"%3A"Ascending"%7D%5D&page=deck&sort=%5B%5D&table=Tasks&view=Tasks

In this case the top level group is Project ID column that is in ascending order:

group=%5B%7B โ€œColumnโ€%3A"Project+ID"%2C"Order"%3A"Ascending" %7D%2C%7B

The second level is the rownumber field in ascending order"

"Column"%3A"_RowNumber"%2C"Order"%3A"Ascending" %7D%5D

So you should be able to observe these links in your app to reconstruct the correct level to send the user. Note that

%7D%2C%7B connects levels together. If you have 3 levels you will see this at the end of each column string. %7D%5D will be at the end of the whole string prior to the &page.

To implement this just create an action that goes to another view and use the formula linktoview().

for example:

linktoview("#appName=TaskApp-861308 &group=%5B%7B"Column"%3A"Project+ID"%2C"Order"%3A"Ascending"%7D%2C%7B"Column"%3A"_RowNumber"%2C"Order"%3A"Ascending"%7D%5D &page=deck&sort=%5B%5D
&table=Tasks&view=Tasks")

Whoaโ€ฆ

Julien
Participant IV

Hi there,

I have a similar case. My user complaint about the fact they get to the first group level
Generally speaking, I think it would be nice to dispose of a โ€œback buttonโ€ action type in AppSheet platform.
Manipulating URL doesnโ€™t sound like a no code platform to me

LeventK
Participant V

Provided you are not familiar with URLENCODE/URLDECODE, you can simply achieve the same with this:

LINKTOVIEW(
	ENCODEURL(
		"#appName=TaskApp-861308&group=[{"Column":"Project+ID","Order":"Ascending"},{"Column":"_RowNumber","Order":"Ascending"}]&page=deck&sort=[]&table=Tasks&view=Tasks"
	)
)
Top Labels in this Space