The following feature has been added to the Preview Program. Feel free to try out the feature and report issues or possible improvements in this thread.
AppSheet is expanding how text can be formatted. For data that is typed as
LongText, app creators can now choose to render Markdown or HTML in Detail views.
Note: In all views other than Detail, the value will render as plain text.
How do app creators use the feature?
- Start with data that has HTML or Markdown inputs.
In this example, the
Quote column contains HTML data and the
Reviews column contains Markdown data.
- In the AppSheet editor, go to Data > Columns, expand the desired table, and set the Type field to
LongTextfor the columns that you want to render Markdown or HTML in Detail views.
- Click to modify the row, and set the Formatting field to HTML or Markdown (depending on your column data).
- Save your application. You should see the rendered text within the Detail view of your app.
How do app users use this feature?
Users can input HTML or Markdown in the appropriate fields.
What are the supported views?
Currently rich-formatted text will only be rendered in Detail views - all other views will display plain text.
What are the supported data types?
The column type must be set to
LongText with the format set to HTML or Markdown.
What are the supported HTML tags?
- Unsupported tags will be rendered as plain text.
- Allowed attributes:
- All other attributes will be removed (for example, inline styles such as
<p style="color:red;">A red paragraph.</p>will be removed and will not have any effect).
What are the supported Markdown elements?
Heading, bold, italic, blockquote, ordered list, unordered list, inline code, code block, horizontal rule, link and image.
Example: Using a virtual column
- Create a virtual column and set its column type to
LongTextand formatting to HTML.
- Edit the App Formula to use the
CONCATENATEformula to combine HTML tags with column values.
- Save and view your app.
The resulting app:
Please let us know your feedback in this thread!