Route line on maps - GPX / KML file I'm prot...

Route line on maps - GPX / KML file

I’m prototyping a walking route app for my local community. All working well with accommodation, landmarks and waypoints. Everyone who’s seen appSheet is really impressed.

The one thing that I’m missing / can’t find is the ability to add a route line to the map. Ideally it would be a link to a GPX/KML file stored in a Google Sheet or a file selected within the app and just like a photo.

I’ve read a couple of older posts but not seen a solution. Is it possible, a future feature or something that’s not going to happen?

Thanks for your time and help

1 11 1,201
11 REPLIES 11

@Rob_Marriott

This an interesting idea, but we do not currently support this capability.

I am not aware of any plan to implement this in the short term but @praveen may wish to comment.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh

Thanks for the update - that’s a shame as I know that it would enhance the scope and reach of AppSheet. As a developer

I know that technically it’s easy to add a KML file overlay or series of co-ordindates to a Google map.

Does anyone know of a partner or developer who has figured how to add a route/polyline line to the map within AppSheet? Or is there an option to assist funding development?

Fingers crossed…

Hello Rob,

Just curious if you were ever able to make this happen.

Thanks!

Are there any updates on this feature?

Yes, I just updated my Appsheet app with this feature, I think.

I have a static KML map.  It has a  "mid" parameter found on "Open in My Maps".  In my Data >> Columns, I updated both the existing columns that related to maps. One column is a LatLong field.  The other is an Address field.  Under Type Details there is a Optional URL for KML file parameter.  That gets the value https://www.google.com/maps/d/kml?mid=[Your_Maps_MID_value].

I found that the overlay was annoying for both, so I kept it for just the LatLong column.

If your KML/GPX is dynamically linked to a Google sheet, that should automagically update the overlay as data points are entered.

Phillip - you are nothing short of a genius - this should be doc'd as an official feature, it's that simple to do (yet I spent weeks trying to work it out to no avail). 
Brilliant - worked a treat for me

Philip Thank you so much!!! extremely helpful!

Question: How do you do this? 

If your KML/GPX is dynamically linked to a Google sheet, that should automagically update the overlay as data points are entered.

It works very well for us - in my experience, Google Maps takes around an hour to update in your Appsheet App - I've not yet found a way to trigger the update on demand, or any way of seeing how long since the last update 'took', but that very minor niggle notwithstanding, this is a massively useful feature and following Philip's instructions above makes it very straightforward.

I was able to get it to work but google my maps doesn't dynamically update on it's own from Google Sheets, this is what I needed help with.. I'm currently looking to see if appscript will work, how do you get yours to update?

@PhilipDYoung I am curious about this step you mentioned: "If your KML/GPX is dynamically linked to a Google sheet, that should automagically update the overlay as data points are entered."

Can you explain how you do this? Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space