SAMPLE APP: Emoji Table for Feeding Dropdowns and TEXT_ICONS()

I just realized the TEXT_ICON() expression works with emojis!

So I immediately searched for an emoji dataset and found this on Kaggle:
https://www.kaggle.com/eliasdabbas/emoji-data-descriptions-codepoints?select=emoji_df.csv

At this point, I knew what had to be doneโ€ฆ

EMOJI SAMPLE APP

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Emoji-Sample-App?appGuidString=c2b0389b-5341-484d-a8bb-e8f4f6ca034d

As kind of an experiment, I have made the key-column the emoji itself.

3X_d_3_d340f308f6ae86c4556d0f444cc692cb4b5ab1f2.png

This means you can store a Ref to the emoji table, and the value stored to your child table will be the emoji!

3X_4_7_473b72226612ebd2dc4870c0c532f596a70f797f.png

USE CASES

• Dropdown image to select as label
  • Virtual Column that returns different emoji based on record status, date, user, etc
  • ??

Iโ€™m not sure what Iโ€™m going to use this for but I had fun building it!

Feel free to post other use cases below, and copy the sample data to use in your own app.

13 10 1,243
10 REPLIES 10

This is awesome findings, thanks for sharing.

Pushing emoji into text_icon expression directly does not return colored emoji, but using your trick i.e. refering to the physical column where emoji data sits with expression in VC, it works beautifully.

Out of curiosity, i tested what will happen if we use external free API, like

Then it returned result without error, but only the outline of original Emoji was shown.

3X_5_4_54b440e8b21631f352c04a8118f9e8b5a468704b.png

I just tested and it works: The Emoji does not have to be a value in a physical column. It also works with a VC.
App formula: Your_Emoji
Type: Text

Thank you @GreenFlux and @tsuji_koichi for bringing this to our attention.

Good man @Fabian

Welcome.

We love ็ตตๆ–‡ๅญ— a lot. This how we spell it out. (Emoji = ็ตตๆ–‡ๅญ—๏ผ‰

Even my mom and dad with age 80+ using it on chat with us. haha.

Thatโ€™s fun!

Thatโ€™s fun. Iโ€™ll have to incorporate it into my personal packing app.

Very cool @GreenFlux
A known issue with emojis is that they donโ€™t look the same over different platforms. Like in this example:

Have you tested, if your workaround would solve this problem?
I mean - does the image returned by TEXT_ICON(๐Ÿก) look the same all over the platforms?

Adding @Suvrutt_Gurjar

Excellent question, @Fabian!

I have not tested, but I suspect that the TEXT_ICON() image, like other virtual columns, is only calculated on the device- and not the server. So it will likely have the same inconsistencies.

Hi @GreenFlux

I get full list of Emoji and make it a table. This is kinda of boilerplate app or Emoji icon generator, leaving the users full selection for emoji to generate icon.

I placed sample app, feel free to copy.

Sample

Thatโ€™s a great list of emojis. How would you get one out of the app to use in another app?

You go to my sample app and copy to your account. You will find your own spreadsheet where you see worksheet contains list of Emoji which can be used in your own app, by refereing to the same worksheet.

Top Labels in this Space