Sample App - NFC / Barcode / Geolocation and Foreign Keys

NFC/Barcode and Location Services require running this app on a mobile device.
(You’ll also need barcodes, etc. at your disposal.)

You register any existing uniqueid tag to any asset, person, or other table.
Then you can use a single form to scan ANY tag throughout the entire ecosystem and pull it up.
Simultaneously logging the datetime and geolocation of the user and the item they scanned.

This is a sample app to demonstrate my strategy with using foreign keys for multiple tables. This has a table for Assets and People. Imagine a scenario in which you can apply multiple data matrix barcodes, NFC tags, etc. to any record on any table. Use a single view to scan ANY tag across your entire system, and instantly be teleport to that record view of choice.

~37 minute detailed screenshare walkthrough of the application.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Foreign-Key-Sample-App?appGuidString=53a5fe35-eee6-4079-b1e2-ea17de...

9 19 3,174
19 REPLIES 19

~15 minute screenshare with a primer on 1D/2D Barcodes and RFID/NFC technology and how to leverage this with Appsheet.

Links:
http://datamatrix.kaywa.com/
https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol28lp

Awesome @Grant_Stead, thanks for sharing bud.

Feel free to drop any additional knowledge around this. I’ll be posting a little more around the actual app next time.

Hi
A test case i am trying to do is use active nfc devices situated in a room. When the user passes in the room, the nfc devices trigger the app so i can register the location of the user within the room. As appsheet doesnt run in the background can this be done?

No.
The only way appsheet sends information is if someone takes action within the app.

Ok, so if the user is already in a scan mode ( in a form with auto save auto re open ) it should work with an active nfc?

Theoretically.

So well explained, now we just need AppSheet to read the build in UUID’s (or what it is called) in the NFC tags.

Thank you so much @Grant_Stead this is very helpful.

We also use 1D Barcodes which we prepare in the office. When we do inspection, we stick them on every part that needs inspection and save it in the App.
Next time we just have to scan them and the App will open the entry.

They look like this:

We use Brother PT-2430PC.
It has it’s own Software where you can say: Please print me 1000 Labels with increasing numbers.
We use TZe-S251 Black on White Tape with Extra Strength Adhesive.
3X_1_7_1756b593813c48ceeddee0a62cc21adbbe30e38b.png

LeventK
Participant V

Provided you code a deep link with some default values to any NFC tag, the NFC reader automatically launches the AppSheet app and open that record/view etc.

We also use NFC Tags. Some of them have the ability to set a password. So you can’t override them.

@Bjarne_Allerup AGREE! Being able to read the native UUID of the tag would be awesome… It could be some simple logic, if the tag is blank then return the UUID…

@Fabian Thanks for dropping the link to the printer! Love that kind of stuff!

@LeventK Since I’m using a foreign key that can be scanned and teleport you to any table record, do you think that you can program the NFC to open up that scanner form, and insert that value, and then autosave and teleport to the record all in one go from outside of app sheet?

@Grant_Stead
We have made a client application like that who was responsible from a dormitory cleaning. @Aleksi can fill you in with the details as well.

@LeventK remembered it correctly. We used it like scanning the area and it opened a prefilled form. The prefilled value was read from the NFC tag. If the app wasn’t open, it opened it automatically and prefilled the value.

@Grant_Stead

That’s cool!

Virtual column calculating the NCF tag value which was saved to NCF tag was something like…
CONCATENATE(‘www.appsheet.com/start/a122c20b-7b71-4c40-a4cb-49b93e98c9f#table=Requests&page=form&defaults={"’,‘AREA_ID’,’":"’,[ID],’"}’)

~37 minute detailed screenshare walkthrough of the application.

HI @Grant_Stead.
Here is a little explanation about the difference of disabling something, or setting the expression to FALSE.

So disabling is for User & App.
FALSE is just for the User.

Ahhh gotcha, thanks for digging up that explanation.

Top Labels in this Space