+Santiago Uribe Montoya [AppSheet] +Praveen S...

@Santiago @praveen @tony Will SPEC (may be at a later stage) could give us kinda flexibility to easily create app views/tables etc. directly from the spreadsheet using JSON headers?

0 5 317
5 REPLIES 5

tony1

@Levent_KULACOGLU Can you say more? I donโ€™t quite understand. Weโ€™re working on allowing you to pull in data from your cloud data provider, if thatโ€™s what you mean.

@tony Iโ€™m talking about appending JSON descriptive headers to the spreadsheet columns and changing its type qualifier without a need to regenerate the column structure. For example: I might have a client who desires to add his own forms to the app as per his needs in the future, and I can just give him a provisional table where he can choose the type of the columns/fields he want to use and then I can append those as JSON header to the sheet and when he syncs the app, voila! the form is ready to use

For example, a JSON header like this: AppSheet:{โ€œDescriptionโ€:โ€œExpected due date:โ€,โ€œIsRequiredโ€:false,โ€œTypeโ€:โ€œDateโ€}

@Bellave_Jayaram what you have mentioned is another approach for sure. I also think that it might be very much beneficial provided we can have the flexibiliy of export/import app structure as JSON for example. I can count many use cases here.

@Levent_KULACOGLU I am not sure what segment of the AppSheet user base SPEC is intended for. I believe that users of different skill levels will need slightly different things. I donโ€™t think most users would care to export an app definition. However, I think advanced users will find it useful to manage many tables, views, slices, actions, workflows etc. and also to build (and test and maintain) app structures in a more modular way via a declarative syntax not too different from the SPEC syntax.

In the same way that the Google forms to AppSheet app interface inserts comments in headers. I believe Levent is asking if we did that either manually or programmatically, could SPEC consume that and auto-update the app without us having to regenerate.

I would actually like it if I could write assertions/statements to a text file and an already existing app could read it and incorporate it into the app.

I am thinking of assertions such as the following:

Table:โ€œTBLโ€ hasColumns 10

TBLCol1 = {โ€œNameโ€:โ€œAโ€, โ€œTypeโ€:โ€œTextโ€,โ€ฆ} TBLCol2 = {โ€œNameโ€:โ€œBโ€, โ€œTypeโ€:โ€œNumberโ€,โ€ฆ} โ€ฆ Table:โ€œTBLโ€ hasSlice โ€œTBLSLC1โ€ Slice โ€œTBLCSLC1โ€ includesCols {โ€œAโ€,โ€œBโ€,โ€œEโ€} Slice โ€œTBLCSLC1โ€ hasViews {โ€œListโ€:โ€œClientViewโ€,โ€œDetailโ€:โ€œCV_Detailโ€,โ€œFormโ€:โ€œClientFormโ€}

Top Labels in this Space