Saving a Workflow PDF in any folder in Google Drive

We can define the Folder, where a PDF is saved.
As described here (under " Folder Name"), this folder is always a sub-folder of the Default app folder.
Like:
/appsheet/data/MyApp12345
That means:
My Drive/appsheet/data/MyApp12345

But what if you want to have the PDF in a folder that is in your โ€œMy Driveโ€?
Like:
My Drive/My_PDFs

Here is the workaround:
Create a new folder in My Drive/appsheet/data/MyApp12345 and name it โ€œMy_PDFsโ€.
In your Save-File-Workflow got to โ€œFile Folder Pathโ€ and type in โ€œMy_PDFsโ€.
Go to the new created folder in Google Drive and click on it. Then hit SHIFT + Z and choose the location โ€œMy Driveโ€. This will add the folder to another location in Google Drive. Itโ€™s like a copy.

From now on, the PDF will be saved in
My Drive/appsheet/data/MyApp12345/My_PDFs
and in
My Drive/My_PDFs

11 4 3,450
4 REPLIES 4

@Fabian - nice hint! Never tried that. Good thing google is using unique folder IDโ€™s to identify folders and not the actual physical structure

I suspect this will also work for an individual document you want to ultimately live outside the Appsheet folder structure. With google, locations donโ€™t matter. Document and folder IDโ€™s do.

@Mike yes this is working also for a document. I came across with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olxPDpWu_v0

Hi @Fabian: Very useful tips

Update
This method is called โ€œMulti Parentingโ€.
I had a conversation with Google Support about a problem.
Here is the answer:

You were experiencing a behavior where deleting a file from a folder with multi parenting, through the Backup & Sync, the file gets sent to the root directory in My Drive. The behavior is not consistent if you delete from Drive Web UI.
Through the Backup and Sync interface the system functions differently with folders with multi parenting. You either remove one of the parents, or delete the files you want deleted from the Drive Web UI.

So please be aware of this. I would call it a bug. Google says that happens, because Backup & Sync is like a different user. So when you delete a file with Backup & Sync, the file will be sent to the ownerโ€™s My Drive. Even though Iโ€™m logged in to Backup & Sync as the owner. So to me that makes no sense.

Top Labels in this Space