Scanning barcode to navigate to item

ux
(Grant Stead) #1

Currently I open an input form, scan a barcode, and then on save have a navigation action take me to that scanned record… (I’ve set the table collecting the forms security filter to false so that they aren’t able to get to the scans…)

Is there a way to allow this navigation to happen without saving a record? I would love that if they click the scan button, it just opens the scanner and takes them to the record, all local without “pushing” a record I don’t care about…

Any ideas?
(Also, advancing forms automatically being a “global” setting is terrible as I don’t want all my forms for the entire app advancing auto, just that scan form. That should be at the Form View level.)

1 Like
(Aleksi Alkio) #2

You can’t search the item with scanning?

(Bellave Jayaram) #3

An alternative to the table search feature is what I think @Grant_Stead is looking for where the text in the search is filled by the scanner. Also instead of just displaying the matching row, he wants the action to be “go to the detail view of the matching row”. In other words, a “non-saving” form. An entirely new set of UX interactions could be implemented in our apps if we had something like this.

(Grant Stead) #4

You two are amazing. I’m pretty sure y’all answered the first question I ever asked… LOL.
I stepped out for about a year, so I’m not sure if things have been added that I don’t know about. Honestly, is be fine either way… Advance forms automatic at the form level, it the ability to take a local input…

(Grant Stead) #5

Yes, at some point there was discussion about actions allowing pop-up input…
Then there was also discussion around allowing actions to be in the menus…
With that then you could do this…