Search Text

Hi there!

I found that when I try to search something, is not searching as it was before.
Eg: I search a name Lia Gonzalez and is not filtering the value regarding the search (in this case a name and surname).
In the table I had a concatenate virtual column [Name].[Surname], that has the search value able. And also set this column as Label.

0 35 911
35 REPLIES 35

Have you confirmed that the Searchable property is โ€œonโ€ for the column(s) you want to search on?

Yes, it is ON

Can you show the formula you have in your Virtual Column? What happens when you try the search?

I played with Search and not yet seeing an issue. Iโ€™d like to temporarily setup a column like you have and see if I can replicate the problem.

CONCATENATE([Prime_nombre], " " , [Segundo_nombre], " ",[Primer_apelllido], " ",[Segundo_apellido])

And for Lia Gonzalez, which field would โ€œLiaโ€ have been in and which would โ€œGonzalezโ€ have been in?

I donยดt understand your question

Sorry, I should have included this quoted section. The CONCATENATE above puts together 4 fields of data - 4 parts of a name. But โ€œLia Gonzalezโ€ is only 2 parts of a 4 part name. After seeing your CONCATENATE expression, I suspect you are getting extra spaces in your CONCATENATED value.

For example, If [Prime_nombre] = โ€œLiaโ€ and [Primer_apelllido] = โ€œGonzalezโ€, then your CONCATENATE is giving you the names with TWO spaces in between - [Segundo_nombre] is blank but there is a space before and after it - and a space at the end.

If you type โ€œLia Gonzalezโ€ with only one space, it will not be found in the search.

To fix this, you would need to build a complex expression that tests that each name column has a value. If so then add a space and the value.

How can I do this?:
To fix this, you would need to build a complex expression that tests that each name column has a value. If so then add a space and the value.
You mean as โ€œLiaโ€ as a single value?

Well I guess we should see if this really is your problem. If you type just โ€œLiaโ€, is it found?

It could be 1 or 100 Liaยดs, so when the users search for Lia and there surname they donยดt need to add double spaces to find it.
Thatยดs what I need to solve

Try:

SUBSTITUTE(
  CONCATENATE(
    LIST(
      [Prime_nombre],
      [Segundo_nombre],
      [Primer_apelllido],
      [Segundo_apellido]
    )
    - LIST("")
  ),
  " , ",
  " "
)

Awesome!! Thanks Steve. I need to squirrel this away somewhere.

What is this part below doing?

It removes blank items ("") from the list and removes duplicate items (inherent to list subtraction).

Thanks Steve!
Is there a way to avoid showing the , , , between column values in the CONCATENATED expression?

Try the expression I provided above.

Just try but still need to add a double space so the search find the name and surname

Yes, I understand. I havenโ€™t seen details of what actually happens. So, while Iโ€™m confident of the issue, I felt I better confirm my suspicion before giving you a solution that doesnโ€™t work.

if you search by just โ€œLiaโ€ do you get a bunch of matches?

If you Type โ€œLia Gonzalezโ€ with a single space, do you see anything?

If you Type โ€œLia Gonzalezโ€ with two spaces, what do you see?

Keep in mind, the AppSheet search feature looks for literal matches: the exact text the user entered must occur. The search is not like Google in that Google looks for the individual words wherever they may occur relative to each other.

Maybe I am not understanding?

In the example below, when I search for โ€œCustomer 1โ€ I also get values with โ€œCustomer 10โ€, โ€œCustomer 12โ€, etc

if I type 12c, I get the one row that has this value as part of the UNIQUEID() value.

2X_3_3414b6ba632831d3d2c041ced762e07ad40e1358.png

Yes that is correct. Can you tray to add a theird from a theird column and try to search for value 1 and value 3?

Eg: [Customer] [Number] [Name]
In this case, if you search [Customer] space [Name] it wonยดt find it, but if you add a second space, the search find it.
When you have a long llist of items or names to be found, this is a big issue, also regarding UNIQUEIDยดs itยดs very hard to the user to remeber each UNIQUEID, itยดs always simpler to find it by something you remember as a name and surname

I am not seeing an issue. @Steve 's formula is working perfectly.

I created a little tester with 4 name fields and entered several rows, entering John and Baer is different places, concatenating in a Virtual Column named Full Name.

2X_9_9624c4dd70ea3aad7184368a71715797e2681bb5.png

If I then search for โ€œJohn Bโ€, I get all of the rows that have that value somewhere in the Full Name field.

2X_3_3e84af9e0d9a4240387466f679e58f099bea2ed6.png

Yes, because โ€œcustomer 1โ€ occurs exactly in that way as part of โ€œcustomer 10โ€, etc. What doesnโ€™t match is โ€œcustomerโ€ (missing " 1"), โ€œcustomer1โ€ (missing space), โ€œcustomers 1โ€ (extra โ€œsโ€), and โ€œcustomer   1โ€ (extra spaces).

Yes, because the exact โ€œ12cโ€ text occurs occurs in the ID.

Actually this does work. In my case, it just returned all the rows because they all have test customer names with the word โ€œcustomerโ€ in them.

Neither here nor there, your formula works awesome and I would not have come up with such a compact form.

please check this video

Can you bring up in your app the view with the complete name by itself and trying searching just with that view - Not inside of a Dashboard.

Iโ€™m at a loss. Just to re-confirm, in your Virtual Column, you have the Searchable property set like that below?

2X_2_2bb830983857fef6f0a1c09d6f38f4ef1c20ff37.png

Yes!

Ok, hold on. I watched again. Is it working in the view by itself?

In the first video, Dashboard View, when you typed โ€œalberto pruebaโ€, it didnโ€™t find anything. But it looks like in the second video, the view by itself, it did.

Itยดs the same thing, it find it when I add a double space between words

Then obviously something is causing the double spaces.

I have tried changing the type of the 4 name field from Name to Text and back. I canโ€™t even get extra spaces to appear between the words. The spaces are always trimmed off.

I donโ€™t know if you entered all of the data you are testing with or not. Is it possible that two names were entered into a single field with two spaces in between?

Secondly, did you use Steveโ€™s formula exactly as he gave it, or did you need to modify it in anyway?

I add Steveยดs formula and still, as It shoes in the videos, when I search a value that belong to the [Column_1] and search at the same time a value that belongs to [Column_3] from the CONCATENATE expression that Steveยดs send. The result is the one that are shown in both videos.
The search result is BLANK.

Iโ€™m running out of ideas. Just to make sure I understand what you said.

If you enter in [Column_1], skip [Column_2] and then enter in [Column_3], you have to search to find the record by including TWO spaces between [Column_1] and [Column_3].

If I have that right, then I simply donโ€™t know whatโ€™s going on. I am not seeing that problem at all in my tester app. There is obviously something different about what you have versus what I have.

I know lessโ€ฆ
Thanks John!
May be this guys can help.

@praveen
@LeventK
@MultiTech_Visions

Please consider engaging support@appsheet.com directly on this.

Top Labels in this Space