Section_Header Show_If not applying on following columns

I have this simple form:

3X_5_9_5978484fcc014215e5ca3412b312fa695ffa6a42.png

The Show_If for column [Section_Header] is: [Show_Section_Header?]=TRUE

I can show and hide the [Section_Header], but this is not affecting the following column [Section_1].
I mean: [Section_1] is always showing up, no matter if [Show_Section_Header?] is TRUE or FALSE.
Iโ€™m pretty sure that this was the case in the past.
Just like it does when using a Page_Header.

Adding @Marc_Dillon @GreenFlux @Steve

1 16 418
16 REPLIES 16

Hello Fabian, im new on the forums so sorry if my suggestion is kinda obvious, but is the โ€œSection_Headerโ€ column category set to โ€œSection_Headerโ€ ? itโ€™s supposed to detect automatically based on the name but checking canโ€™t hurt.

My experience, or at least the memory of my experience, was that it never worked like that. I definitely have at least one app where Iโ€™ve repeated the same show_if expressions for multiple columns even though the first is a Section_Header.

My recollectionโ€“having not experimented with Section_Header in a loooong timeโ€“is the same: hiding the section header didnโ€™t hide the sectionโ€™s columns.

Thank you @Marc_Dillon and @Steve for confirming.
But honestlyโ€ฆ wouldnโ€™t this be the intention of Section_Header? I mean: What is Section_Header for? Just to have a centered bold text?

I would certainly think it should behave as youโ€™re expecting.

Alright
@Steve will you contact AppSheet or should I?

Requests have more weight coming from outside, so have at it.

Sorry about that, Steve

OK I will contact support@appsheet.com

Here is the answer from @Adam

Hi Fabian, this is the expected behavior. It might make sense to make it work this way for consistency with page header, but itโ€™s difficult to change the behavior now without breaking existing apps.

Sounds like we need a new sub-type of Show columns. Perhaps โ€œSegmentโ€ header

Perhaps with an on-screen show/hide toggleโ€ฆ

@Adam what do you think about that?

I agree with your point but I get that changing it now could break existing apps.

A related issue: Using the page_header column, it seems that it hides trailing columns in a form but not in the detail view. In the detail view, only the page_header itself is hidden.

Is this how it is meant to be? I guess it doesnโ€™t matter in many cases as there will be no data in the trailing columns if they are not showing in the form but if you think about a situation where different users should see different parts of a table, it could become an issue.

I guess I just have to put the show_if in for every column instead of once for the whole section/page.

Correct.

Yep.

FYI, columns of type Show were originally only for use in form views, and werenโ€™t even available in other view types. They were retrofitted into other view types, hence the quirky behavior.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Top Labels in this Space