SELECT() documentation example issue

Hi there, I just discovered AppSheet a few weeks ago, and feel like a kid in a candy store! What an incredible platform, have been looking for something like this for years.

I am going through the documentation now, and have a question about this example:

" SELECT(Students[First Name], TRUE) : A list of first names (possibly with duplicates) of all students. Equivalent to Students[First Name] ."

I just canโ€™t figure out why this expression would possibly result in duplicates. Doesnโ€™t distinct-only? being TRUE mean that there should definitely be NO duplicates?

1 3 359
3 REPLIES 3

Try with SELECT(Students[First Name], TRUE,TRUE)

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The second argument to SELECT() is an expression that matches the desired rows. In the example, the second argumentโ€“the row-matching expressionโ€“is the trivial expression, TRUE, which always matches. Itโ€™s the third argumentโ€“which isnโ€™t present in this exampleโ€“that enables district-only values.

The point of the example is to show the equivalency between the two expressions, both of which return a list of all values in a chosen column.

Ah, now I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Top Labels in this Space