Select from different tables

Newbie question here:

4 tables: Projects, Shipments, Locations, Destinations

Projects may have Shipments sent to Locations, and Locations pertain to a Destination (e.g. Destination A has Location X, Y, think of it as a chain having multiple branches)

How do I create a virtual column in Projects which shows (as a list) the Destinations that have at least one shipment for the project in question?

I tried using Select but canโ€™t seem to find the proper approach, still learning the ropes.

Would something like this be possible?

Thank you very much to the community and whoever may answer this!

• Alberto
0 8 190
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Maybe this (with appropriate name substitutions)?

FILTER(
  "Destinations",
  ([_THISROW].[Project ID] = [Location].[Shipment].[Project])
)

See also:

Thanks a lot, giving it a try first thing tomorrow and letting you know if it did the trick, thanks again!

Hmm, Iโ€™m very sorry, most likely itโ€™s me doing something wrong, but canโ€™t get it to work

The case is:

Iโ€™m trying to add the virtual column in Project

In Project I have already a virtual column which recalls Related Shipments as a list: REF_ROWS(โ€œShipmentโ€, โ€œProjectโ€)

Shipment has:

ref to project
ref to location

Location has

ref to Destination

Destination has no ref (ok, Destination category but that doesnโ€™t count) and has a virtual column where the Locations are listed ( REF_ROWS(โ€œLocationโ€, โ€œDestinationโ€) )

FILTER(
โ€œDestinationโ€,
([_THISROW].[Key] = [Location].[Shipment].[Project])
)

I tried something like the above but I think Iโ€™m off somewhere given the above structure.

Thanks a lot for your support so far, itโ€™s helping me already get a better grasp!

• Alberto

This is very confusing to me. Can you describe it in another way?

Absolutely, let me try again:

I have a project table, where I want to display the list of stores some items are sent. A store may have multiple locations and the actual shipments are tied to a specific location.

So shipments have as ref:

[project]
[location]

And locations pertain to a destination ( a location can belong to just a single destination, a destination may have multiple locations)

I would like to show for each project (so in the project view) the list of stores (destinations) that have even just one location that received even just a shipment for that project.

Better now? Sorry if I was not clear - and still may not be - and thank you very much for your help!

• Alberto

Just a quick check if thereโ€™s anyone that can help on this, still a bit stuck, sorry

Maybe something like this (substitute column and table names s appropriate):

FILTER(
  "destinations",
  ISNOTBLANK(
    FILTER(
      "shipments",
      AND(
        ISNOTBLANK([project]),
        ([project] = [_THISROW].[project]),
        ISNOTBLANK(([location].[destination]]),
        ([location].[destination] = [_THISROW-1].[destination])
      )
    )
  )
)

This will be an expensive expression, so best to avoid using it in a virtual column.

Thank you very much for your support and sorry for the late reply: Iโ€™ll soon be back on the project and attempt following your indication to sort this out.

Top Labels in this Space