Send Workflow Email to multiple/many addresses

SOLVED!
Howdy! How do I set up the “To” Expression in my Workflow to send to multiple/many Email addresses? I tried using all of the Email columns with commas in between, but it only sees the first one. Sorry for the basic question! TYVM!
I edited this OP so you don’t have to scroll down.
"Each value must be entered on a separate line" **And “by separate line” they mean that you must click the little “+” Plus symbol and add a new Expression “Line”, each to only contain one [email address]

Solved Solved
0 27 4,035
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Participant V

While the app is in test mode (i.e. it has not passed a Deployment Check), any messages sent from workflow actions will only be sent to the app creator.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Steve
Participant V

While the app is in test mode (i.e. it has not passed a Deployment Check), any messages sent from workflow actions will only be sent to the app creator.

SOLVED!
Thanks Steve! App is Deployed, I’m just setting up my Workflow “To” Expression.
I missed the FIRST LINE of “Configuring emails” in that Help Doc that you attached. I’ve looked at this a couple times and never read the line Each value must be entered on a separate line Haha…DOH!! That Doc never told me to “Read Carefully”! Haha! It would be very nice [Smart] to BOLD these crucial tid-bits in the Help Docs
This Post is a great example of what happens when you are used to always getting STELLAR SUPPORT from people like Mr @Steve . I knew that if this was something that was hard/difficult, Mr Steve would have told me how to do it. By sending a Link to a Help Doc, I knew he was telling me that I missed something contained therein, and that I should [pull my head out!] slow down and carefully re-read the Doc.
I sure do LOVE this AppSheet Community and ALL the amazing People who make it WORK! #peace2u

I love that people have worked out @Steve 's replying style.

When I get a link back, I always know that I just needed to open my eyes a little and do some more fine-tooth combing - usually to find that the answer I needed was not only simple but also in the first few paragraphs

Well, I might need another shot at this help. My WF Email sent, but only to the CC, which I set as me. The App IS Deployed. Help Doc says that “Each email must be on a separate line”, so I just stacked them all up inside one Expression. It gave me a little green check mark and shows all my [Email] columns stacked up by the check mark, so I thought I was good to go. Non of the emails in that stack received an email. Now I’m thinking, do I need to add a separate Expression, using the little “+” plus sign to add a new Expression for each email address? Help is Doc not very clear on this. TYVM!

Please post the expression you used.

I solved this by clicking the “+” Plus symbol and adding a new Expression for each email address, entering them each like [Member email]. It’s now working fine, but I’m not positive this is the best set up. When I had all emails all in one Expression “Line”, I just had them all stacked up because that’s what I thought Help Doc meant when it said “Each email must be on separate line”. When I did this the Expression builder never “recognized” the Email and didn’t give the usual break-down/recipe of what was going to happen with the stack of [Member email] columns, but it did give me the little green arrow, which is why I thought it was going to work. Let me know if there is a more efficient way to set this up. Thanks again @Steve !

Steve
Participant V

While the app is in test mode (i.e. it has not passed a Deployment Check), any emails sent from workflow actions will go only to the app creator. This ensures that you do not inadvertently send email messages, send SMS messages, send notifications, or post HTTP messages while debugging your workflow rules.

Goog Mr @Stephen_Mattison, if you write the formula like Users[Email] into to field and you set it as a formula, it will send the email to all addresses from that list.

Cool! Thanks Bro! I knew there would be a way to send to all [email] columns/addresses in one formula.
Is is a bad idea or inefficient (or stupid) to have each email in a separate Expression as I have described above?

Well… it’s always better idea to use formulas only when you need them

Is there a way to make a Workforce Rule that selects which of a list of emails it should go to? I don’t want the info to go to everybody, but want to select one person. Who that person is can vary.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I apologize I wasn’t clear. I want to be able to pick one email from a list of say, 8 possible email addresses.

I am SO sorry. I’ve been struggling with this for days & just don’t understand how to do it. I’ve read these articles plus many more & watched numerous youtube videos, but can’t figure out what exactly to write in the “To” box so I can get a dropdown list of email addresses to select from. I can get to the Expression Assistant and then I’m stuck.

Where do you actually want to see that dropdown? In the app or in the app editor when selecting that email address?

I’d like us to see the drop down list in the App. Thanks so much!

The workflow can only use data already present in a table, so there’s no way for the workflow to ask the user what email addresses to use. Instead, you’ll have to configure your app to ask the user in another way and save the user’s response in a table so the workflow can use it.

Could you give us a brief description of what your app does and how you’ve structured it? That might help us help you.

Sure! I work at a school district in Minnesota, and we are using the app to keep track of our process as we assess students for special education. We’ve been using it since late August and love it! What we need to do is print our contact log. So I have a column labeled “Print Contact Log?” with a Yes/No button. The next column is an Enum List with the email addresses of our staff.

I then created a Workflow Rule. Under “If This is True” I wrote [Print Contact Log?]=Y. Under “Do This,” I want us to be able to choose which email to send the pdf to. And that’s where I struggle.

I’ve got the pdf all set & it works when I put in my own email, but I don’t want all of these pdfs coming to me.

You say you have an EnumList with the email addresses of your staff. Is the user choosing addresses from that list when they also click the Yes button?

Yes, so AppSheet knows who to send the report to.

So you just need to populate To, then. Easy enough! Click the plus to the right of To to add a recipient value, toggle the gray pencil to a blue flask to allow an expression, then enter an expression that produces one or a list of email addresses.

3X_2_5_2595c7d8b79309edcd5eaed5c1fad1e8774ed926.png

That’s where I get stuck! Which expression?

If the name of the EnumList column is Recipients, just use:

[Recipients]

Thank you SO incredibly much for your help with all this. When I write it in . . .

. . . I get this.

Ah. Oops! Try this instead:

CONCATENATE([Staff E-mail])

That works! You are AMAZING! Thank you so much!!

Top Labels in this Space