September 14, 2021

Deployment Time: 9:41 PM PST

Features & enhancements

None.

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug Formatting rules should now update more frequently when the data is updated.

Deployed to 30% of free users.

Bug Fixed issue with backdrop card view onClick event that was only getting triggered if the photo was clicked. Now the entire card triggers the onClick event.

To implement this change on existing apps, you will need to change to a different view type, then back to the card view type.

Note: This will reset your existing card view configuration. Back up your configuration before proceeding.

Bug Bug fix for rebranding Sample Apps to Templates. The route samples/?appGuid was not working properly for users inside the rollout. Now samples?appGuid as templates?appGuid is supported.
Bug Fixed an issue with the testing of bots that used a dynamic email task (preview). Enums default to button display mode in dynamic emails now.
Bug When AppSheet app is created using the Google Sheets Add-on, a default app folder is now created in Google Drive.

Deployed to 50% free users.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Feature Error banner on version conflict to prevent app creators from making changes that will be lost

New: Deployed to 100% of free users, 60% premium users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users, 30% premium users.

Bug Minimum and maximum properties are now respected for DateTime fields.

New: Deployed to 30% of free users.

Preview announcements

The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.

• Update deck view row heights depending on content available

Currently, deck view rows have a fixed height regardless of how much content you have. With this update, AppSheet adjusts the row size to fit the form factor based on what columns you’re displaying. For more information, see the community announcement.

What's currently available in the Preview program?

Item Description
Feature Send dynamic emails from a bot.

Configure a bot to send a dynamic email to one or more recipients based on an event. Dynamic email leverages dynamic email in Gmail (using AMP) and enables users to interact directly with your app in the email rather than clicking out to view the AppSheet app in a separate window.

For more information, see Sending dynamic email from a bot and the community announcement.

Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Detail views

Rich text formatting is now available in Detail views. For details, see this announcement in the community.

I see this error to often. It feels like a bug to me.

Au contraire!

https://www.appsheet.com/samples?appGuidString=502cc394-2717-4a69-8246-5fc26a1aa9cf

does not work but

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/fakename?appGuidString=502cc394-2717-4a69-8246-5fc26a1aa9cf

does. What could account for this?

1 Like

Hi @Kirk_Masden

For your guidance

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to this. I hadn’t seen it yet. But that doesn’t alter the point I’m making. @Liz_Lynch is saying that “samples?appGuid as templates?appGuid is supported” but I’m saying “not for me.”

1 Like

Everything is boiled down to the point Appsheet update on new feature are matter of short words. Not explaining anything detailed .

2 Likes

Makes you wonder if anyone actually understands what’s going on… :confounded:

1 Like

Hi Kirk,

Some quick context… You reported this via support, I fixed it and introduced a 404 with the fix so we had to revert it. Tomorrow or the day after changes will go out with the fix and many tests to prevent that from happening again :slight_smile: – apologies for all the back and forth.

Maria

3 Likes

Thanks Maria!

1 Like
1 Like

@Kirk_Masden fix is in, you should be able to reference your sample apps as before using www.appsheet.com/templates?appGuidString=XXXXXXX :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes indeed, @Maria! Thanks very much!. So, I take it that, if we want to share an app directly that

www.appsheet.com/templates?appGuidString=XXXXXXX

is the recommended format that we should use long term?

www.appsheet.com/templates/fakename?appGuidString=XXXXXXX

also works but I’m a little uncomfortable with having to supply a meaningless set of text (long name format) so I’ll try to stick with this format.

For other readers: For more information, please see this thread:

4 Likes

No problem!

Yes, the recommended format is www.appsheet.com/templates?appGuidString=XXXXXXX

4 Likes

Thanks @macastan ! While we’re on the topic of sample apps (or templates) I’d like to bring up a pet peeve of mine: When sample apps are copied, whatever branding (logo images, etc.) we have assigned is stripped off and replaced with random, generic AppSheet branding images. Is there a reason for this? I’ve noticed that quite a few people have some pretty creative branding images on their apps. For example:

https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/549987
Credt: @Fabian

https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/245151
Credit: @LeventK

https://www.appsheet.com/portfolio/1723746
Credit: @Aurelien

All of these creative and app-appropriate images will be stripped off when any of these sample apps gets copied. I don’t understand why. This is the only aspect of sample apps that gets thrown in the trash when an app is copied. Since sample apps are given, free of charge, to other creators, I would hope that we could at least have the image integrity maintained.

I suspect this is merely an oversight – not something that people at AppSheet are strongly committed to. I understand that it might not be a high priority to fix but I hope a fix might be considered. It shouldn’t be too hard – just delete whatever code causes the meaningless random changes.

By the way, here’s the part of the app where these images are designated:

Thanks for your consideration!

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing that up Kirk – those screenshots really show the value!

I’ve shared this internally and hoping we can get that change out soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Regardless of whether the answer is “yes,” “no,” or “maybe later,” I hope to hear back eventually about a decision or policy. :slight_smile:

Some people may not want their logos copied also.

Thanks Lynn! I hadn’t imagined that. The logos are public. Actually, since the URLs are in the templates, they can be reconfigured anyway. The current configuration just makes keeping the same logo harder – it doesn’t actually prevent it.

But, perhaps, that was the thought process behind automatically/randomly switching logos. In that case, it would be nice if there were a way for the people who want their logos to stay with their apps to do so.

Just out of curiosity, @Lynn , do you prefer for your logos not to be copied with your templates? Just wondering.

1 Like

Hi again, Maria! Today I learned that AppSheet has already solved the problem that concerned me. Look, for example at the following template:

https://www.appsheet.com/templates/This-attendance-tracker-app-helps-log-student-attendance-in-class?appGuidString=76893664-5529-44e8-8fb8-b90bd7256a25

This template uses the following URL to identify the main branding image:

https://www.appsheet.com/fsimage.png?appid=76893664-5529-44e8-8fb8-b90bd7256a25&datasource=google&filename=DocId%3D1uNejZSzSkXJ8wdpLup1AVImbEpyFoEKY&signature=b02f02a2a2aef45acb9d28a7caf2947472507561581cde7a915d7dc63abe6ea3&tableprovider=google&userid=2078346

When one copies the template, the branding image remains constant.

Is there a way that I can make an image that will work in the same way? By the way, if users like me can learn to do this (or be given the tools to do this) @Lynn’s concern will no longer be a problem because only those who go to the trouble to make such a URL will get the result of having an image that doesn’t change when copied.

I should also add that I attempted to place the URL shown above in an app of mine and then copy that app from a different account but it didn’t work. It looks like that URL must contain the account number and app id of the template app. I can’t figure out how to do this.