Show the address of a GPS position

Is there a way to show the nearest approximate address, instead of the map, in a LATLONG field?
Or have a table with several specific addresses and detect when it is within a certain radius and be able to show in a text field “the place” of the table of which it is closest?
How could I do it?
Thank you so much

Yes; you can create a related locations table with location names or address, and a lat/long for each location. Then you may use the devices Latlong and DISTANCE() formula to select the closest location from the list of locations.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there is no address geocoding available. About a year ago or so I had a client that needed something like that - and unless you want to go the route @Jonathon was talking about, Appsheet would need to add functionality to the platform in order to find the closest address to a geopoint.

I remember a lengthy email string with @Adam about this; any chances this might be something they’ll add know that AppSheet is part of Google cloud?

You could try to figure out how to do something with this maybe? https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/intro#ReverseGeocoding

1 Like

You can create a script that would run in the background, using your own Google credits (meaning you’ll have to create the GCP account and pay for the geocoding - unless your usage doesn’t crest a certain threshold, then I think it’s free up to a certain point.

But yes, you can create two fields

1. for the lat/long, and
  2. for the geocoded address.

The lat/long comes from the app, then once that is submitted to the back end (a key thing here) the script runs the lat/long through your GCP geocoding and populates it into the second column.

The problem here is that there is no “in-app” way to accomplish this. The best scenario would be the following:

1. User inputs lat/long
  2. user syncs their app data to the cloud
  3. the cloud geocodes the lat/long
  4. the user re-syncs their app to grab the result.

In practice, the geocoding system can lag sometimes and when the user hits the second sync - to get the address data - sometimes you’ll have to hit it twice (where the first sync happened before the geocoding could finish).