Showing ref_rows as a column other than the ID

I have 2 ref tables [client event] and [event detail], one [event detail] can have many [client events]. The automatic de-ref virtual column is as follows:
REF_ROWS(“CLIENT EVENT”, “EVENT DETAIL ID”)
This nicely shows a list of all related client IDs.
How do I get a similar list of all related client names?
I need it as a virtual column so that I can link this back to my calendar view to show all the clients attending that event on the calendar view.

Solved Solved
0 19 1,910
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could write something like [Related Client Events][Client Name]

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

You could write something like [Related Client Events][Client Name]

Wow thank you. Appsheet is very intuitive, I didn’t think it would be that simple.

You’re welcome

Hi.
I am new to Appsheet and even if I can understand some logic with this solution I do not understand where it is implemented. Would it too much asking to provide a little more detail. I have not been able to replay the solution on my side.

Thanks.

You enter Aleksi’s expression into the App Formula of a new Virtual Column.

Thank Marc.

I have just figured that out. The result for me is a paragraph of concatenated strings. Would it be impossible to improve the display so it become something like a list of strings instead?

The result is a List data-type.

Which when directly displayed in the app is seen as a LongText string formatted as

item1 , item2 , item3 , …

with commas delimiting between the List items.

A fairly common way to display such a thing in the app is to replace the commas with newlines. In yet another virtual column enter:

SUBSTITUTE( [1st new column] , “,” , "
")

Notice the literal linebreak inside of the expression, as the 3rd argument.

Hi Marc,

I am having the same problem. But couldn't clarify it yet. Appreciate your help in this regard..

As in the 2nd snap, I am having a SKU code("145"). But once the serial is entered it shows the ID of that SKU code which is the key column. But I want the SKU code to be displayed. How can I do it? 

Thanks in advance.

4.PNG3.PNG

Thanks Marc!

With your inspiration I have modified it to
SUBSTITUTE(CONCATENATE("- “, [Related Commandes][Tâches ID]), “,” , "
-”)

Would this be the best it can be done with a LongText string?

How else would you want to display it?

Is it possible to change the layout and content in the scenario below?
2X_1_1b7a84f1615bd735b59119eda10a5dcd6bccc537.png

It is not really possible to display multiple lines per column in a table view.

I’m not really sure what you’re asking for though.

I am sorry. I did not express my thought clearly.

At the moment, all my table related records are displayed in a table view like shown in my previous post. I like it. Since IDs are usually not relevant end user information, how can I change the columns displayed for these views?

You can change columns and their order from table view’s definition. Option name is “Column order”.

Hi @Aleksi.

Thanks for your reply! It seems very obvious for you. You will certainly feel that I am wasting you time on such a simple thing that I should know.

How can I implement you solution? Where should I go to modify the column order of the “Related Commandes”?

Best regards.
Paul

No worries, you are not wasting my time

You are now in a wrong view. Open the Ref view from the View(0) button so you would be in correct Ref view. When you open it, you will find out that it’s a table view.

Excellent @Aleksi! Thanks for taking the time!

Would it bother you to have a quick look at this picture [question] and let me know if you any brilliant hint on how to address this situation?

Sorry, I’m not following. I believe I already explained it in my previous post.

Hi @Aleksi.

I am sorry for the confusion. It appears my fancy link ([question]) did not work previously.

Here is the link toward this other scenario I am puzzled with and where your knowledge could be precious.

https://community.appsheet.com/t/similar-configuration-different-reference-display-results/22347

Top Labels in this Space