So I'm using this for a format rule - but it'...

So I’m using this for a format rule - but it’s being applied to all records not just those with a timestamp.

Can you not create a format rule for one table based on info from another table?

ISNOTBLANK(Activation Log HOSPITALS[Outbound Timestamp])

0 11 371
11 REPLIES 11

@Tammi_Canelli is there a REF between the table that you are applying this formatting and the table that you are reading the timestamp column?

@Tammi_Canelli If there is a ref, than you can simply de-ref it in the expression:

ISNOTBLANK([RefColumnName].[Outbound Timestamp])

I have the timestamp col in the call log but not the registry table, which is where the name being formatted is.

I thought I could add a virtual column in registry and just pull the timestamp value over from call log but I couldn’t get that to work

There is a reference.

I will try this.

thank you

Doesn’t like that expression - says it can’t find column name.

but if i put the table name back in the expression verifies but clearly verify means nothing because it really doesn’t work

@Tammi_Canelli it shouldn’t be doing that really provided you have set your de-ref expression correctly.

Here’s another one I’m trying to use in a slice, and it too is applying it to every record not just the ones that meet the criteria:

AND(ISNOTBLANK([Caller Name]), ISBLANK(Activation Log HOSPITALS[Outbound Timestamp]))

Well the dereferences I set in the table for certain fields works just fine.

So I have no idea.

@Tammi_Canelli provided your dereferences are working fine in the table, they should work for the formatting rules too. For de-ref you don’t need to put the table name in front of the column name, as it won’t work like that.

I don’t have a timestamp column in the table that is being referenced - and i don’t want one there.

So even though there is a reference and other columns have the dereference expression that works I can’t get anything to work for this column.

Is there an expression that will work with the table name like i had above but will only apply to the row that meets the filter criteria?

@Tammi_Canelli you have misunderstood the condition rule a little bit. This is the same for the slice condition as well. When you try to write the formula, you should evaluate if that one row is TRUE or FALSE. If you type the formula like “ISNOTBLANK(Activation Log HOSPITALS[Outbound Timestamp])” it will check the whole table and if that table have at least one record, it will give you TRUE for all your records. That’s why it gives you that icon or color for all rows.

Instead of… you should write it like ISNOTBLANK([Outbound Timestamp]) and I’m assuming you have that column on your table.

Top Labels in this Space