[SOLVED] I have a question about sorting and...

[SOLVED]

I have a question about sorting and filtering references.

Let me explain. I have a contact table in which I have two columns called primary category and secondary category. These columns have a reference to my primary category table and my secondary category table.

The secondary category table also references the primary category Table.

Because of this whenever I select the primary category field in my contact table, I get a filtered view in my secondary category field of the secondary categories that match the primary categories. For example letโ€™s say I select family in the primary category field, I will then only see secondary categories like father, mother, child etc.

This is exactly what I want happening. The problem however is, that this list is not sorted alphabetically and any new category I create is shown at the bottom of the reference list. I am aware that I can use either the SORT or the ORDERBY function in the valid_if constraint, but I lose the filtered view when I do this. When selecting a primary category in the contact table, I then get to see all the different types of secondary categories even those that do not match the primary category.

How can I sort the reference list alphabetically and still have the filtered view remain whenever I select a category in the primary category field?

Any help with this would really be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

0 5 1,122
5 REPLIES 5

@tony Awesome! thanks a lot. As you said, I managed to do it by entering the following formula in the secondary category field in my contacts table:

ORDERBY([First Category:].[Related Categories], [Second Category:])

@tony thanks for responding.

Iโ€™ve entered the following formula:

ORDERBY(REF_REL_Second_Category[First Category:].REF_REL_Second_Category[Second Category:],REF_REL_Second_Category[Second Category:])

However I receive the following error: ORDERBY has invalid inputs

tony1

@Guillermo_Perez You could try using this formula, which should preserve the filtering:

ORDERBY([Primary Category Choice].[Related Secondary Rows], [Secondary Row Name])

How this formula works: - [Primary Category Choice] is a ref to the primary category that the user has chosen - [Related Secondary Rows] is a column that contains the related secondary categories for each primary category

Youโ€™ll need to replace those with the actual column names.

tony1

@Guillermo_Perez I think your syntax is not correct. In the formula I posted, the first argument to ORDERBY is in the form [column1].[column2].

column1 should be the name of the first dropdown that the user selects

column2 should be the name of the column in your โ€œprimary categoriesโ€ table that has the list of related rows. It is probably something like โ€œRelated XXXX By YYYYโ€.

The second argument to ORDERBY should be the column you want to sort by (probably the name or row label).

tony1

@Guillermo_Perez Glad to hear it!

Top Labels in this Space