Some visual changes to deck view

Thank you Mike.

Apologies @Aurelien, your suggestion does work, thanks. I was looking at the slice rather than the detailed view.
It really isn’t very obvious from the wording ‘Column Order’ or the description below and it’s frustrating having to come to these forums for such trivial things. I really hope developers can address this and make the app more intuitive.

2 Likes

Hi @Mike_Moss

I would like a Deck view option for desktops with more columns. Right now I’m using Card view so there can be many columns, but I want the action buttons to show for each item and Card view just shows the 3 dots.

This is a property management App. you can see an example below:

3 Likes

@Hamlet Thanks for posting this. Are you using deck view for any inline lists or dashboards as well?

1 Like

I would use it for a dashboard if Deck view had columns. I have a dashboard now but I’m using it with another view type at the moment.

Like I said, I could really use the option that Deck view gives you of having action buttons show right there on each item. But it looks too damn weird on desktops. Having that looooong deck item across the screen.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I have to say this is a little frustrating. A lot of this text formatting is a nice touch, but we had the option to make adjustments in Format Rules. In the meantime we are locked into the summary and header column sizes. I know this update is very useful for people who wanted a lot more space in the summary, but some of us designed our app views around the existing constraints. Now most my headers in deck view are significantly truncated on mobile devices, even when the summary is empty. I’ll have to go back at some point and shorten the data in hundreds of rows to fit this new view. Ouch. Is there any possibility of making this adjustable? Even just 2 size options? Or creating another summary column on the second row?

I do like having an extra character or 2 in the summary on occasion, but I’m wondering why people haven’t been using “Ignore Seconds” and virtual columns to minimize these long datetime strings.

Thanks for keeping us posted on these changes and everything that goes into keeping AppSheet updated.

3 Likes

Yeah, one size definitely does not fit all. You get the sense the people making these decisions don’t have much experience making apps with AppSheet?

3 Likes

Hi @Mike_Moss

In case we do not select any filed for summary column on deck view, we wish the strings on primary header to get the full width. Currenty, they are cut off and killing the mostly half of spaces unused.

4 Likes

Hi @Mike_Moss
I understand that there is a limit to 6 actions when we use an image.

But we should be able to see more actions when there is no image.

See also:

See also:

1 Like

Update: visual refinements for deck height

One other change: currently deck view rows have a fixed height: this is regardless of how much content you have.

If you do not have an image or action bar (or just a primary header and actions), we felt it’s not necessary to maintain the large amounts of vertical height, so we’re sizing it to fit the form factor based on what columns you’re displaying:

One other change: if you don’t have a summary column, the primary header text should extend further to the right. @tsuji_koichi

@Aurelien As for your request re: nested views: It’s on our radar. We will be doing some work on nested views in general at a later date.

There will be more to come, but just wanted to give more info as changes roll out.

22 Likes

:100:!!

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

I just wonder how those combinations is going to be looking like?

No Primary Header + Secondary header + Actions (no image)
Primary Header + No Secondary header + Actions (no image)
No Primary Header + No Secondary header + Summary + Actions (No image)
Actions only

2 Likes

so… looks like this.
Secondary + actions

Primary + actions

Summary + actions

Actions only? Not sure of that use case.

7 Likes

Thank you!!!

Yeah, just kidding. :sweat_smile:

I reckon the action to slide right / left stay available for any optimized layout for deck view. Also wonder if you have plan to remove “Beta” for those actions… :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes, the Swipe Right and Swipe Left are a huge reason I use the deck view! This will be great with the size modifications.

1 Like

No plans to change that action (not sure about when to remove the Beta though).

2 Likes

Sure.

FYG, slide action is exacty 3 years old, and still beta, thats our point.

5 Likes

This is currently in the Preview Program - please let us know if you have any feedback or comments!

Another Deck View visual issue I re-encountered yesterday. Increasing number of actions icons in action bar. It currently allows 7 (was 5) but there is room in the smallest form factor for 3 more. The max number should be, IMHO, based on the screen/window size.

But the biggest problem is that if you exceed this max number, the beginning icons are simply “pushed” out of the queue. This means we have reduced control over position and which icons remain visible.

I raised this issue 2 YEARS ago with the feature request below. Please consider placing it on your radar for improvement.

2 Likes

Thanks for raising this issue again - I’ve created an internal ticket so we don’t lose track of this!

2 Likes