Sort by birthday but only month and date

I have a list and I wanna sort by bithday, however, the system type “date” will sort by the year. can i just show the month and date only? I wanna sort by month then i can check my list, my friends, by their month.

ex. sort by date
Emily 1992/5/5
Amy 1993/1/5

Amy is in JAN, Emily in MAY, but the list will list by the year they born.

1 3 263
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

This requires including additional fields, one for each separate piece of data you want to record - even when that data is a duplicate.

For instance, I’ll typically have the following fields for any sort of data-capture tables:

• [DateTime] - of when the event happened
  • [Date] - to allow for easy grouping by date
  • [Time] - to allow for smaller view of the time (that way I don’t have to view the DateTime, when it’s grouped under a date)

Even though the 2nd and 3rd columns are duplicates of what’s stored in the first, it’s helpful to have them separated out like this.

Sorry, I am a beginner, I couldn’t understand, how can i solve the problem?

No worries.

What I’m trying to say is, if you need to see something grouped by a specific piece of data (say the date, or the month of that date)…

• then you need to store that separately (in it’s own column, with it’s own App Formula to derive the value)

So in your example, you want to be able to group by month… so include a Month column with a formula like the following:

INDEX(
  {
    "January", "February", "March",
    "April", "May", "June",
    "July", "August", "September",
    "October", "November", "December"
  },
  MONTH([DateTime])
)

Source

Then you can group by that column instead.

Top Labels in this Space