Specifying what changed in a record in an email notification

Hey all,

I have an email notification sent every time a record is changed. This is great. But I would like to highlight, bold, or announce the column that was changed. E.g. if I have the columns orderid, status, product, and a user changes the product entry, I would like the notification to say “USEREMAIL() updated the product column from Product A to Product B at NOW()”. Now, in reality, I have 10 columns, some of which have child records.

My current approach is:

<<If: [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Status] <>[_THISROW].[Status]>> 
<<USEREMAIL()>> changed status from <<[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Status]>> to <<[_THISROW].[Status]>>
<<EndIf>>

The issue is: I don’t want to copy and paste this for every column and I don’t want to change it every time I update a column name or add a column.

Is there something built in to do this? (ideal) if not, is there a way to iterate through every column automatically?

No.

No. And I can’t think of an easy way to loop through X number of Columns.

But you might be able to use List-Subtraction to get a list of values that are new.

LIST(
[_THISROW_AFTER].[Column1],
[_THISROW_AFTER].[Column2],
[_THISROW_AFTER].[Column3],...
)

-  

LIST(
[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Column1],
[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Column2],
[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Column3],...
)

This would result in a list of the new values only-- without the associated column name.

So it’s only going to be useful if you can make it obvious which column those values are from.

I know that’s not ideal. But it’s the simplest solution I can think of to easily see what changed.

Another option would be to just include a table with the full list of before and after values, side-by-side.

Then if you really want to get creative, you could try to format the values in the After list that are not in the before list.

2 Likes

That could work! Could you offer syntax or advice on this approach? I know how to print column by column, but how does one print a full row? How does one compare a full before row to a full after row and format on differences?

There isn’t a way to print a full row with a single expression. You would have to list out each column name, with the before and after values each in their own expression.

Column Before After
Col1 <<[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Col1]>> <<[_THISROW_AFTER].[Col1]>>
Col2 <<[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Col2]>> <<[_THISROW_AFTER].[Col2]>>

Then, if you want the after value to be red when the value has changed, you could replace the after column with IF() statements.

<<IF(
[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Col1] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Col1],

[_THISROW_AFTER].[Col1],   <<-format this part RED in the template

[_THISROW_AFTER].[Col1]
)>>

The expression returns the same data in either case, but you can format each one differently.

2 Likes