Starting View changes

I see the starting view no longer applies. Is there any way to set the starting view again. I like to start the app every day on the same view as this is the one I use the most. My app has about 20 views and I would like to start each day on the same one, not in the middle of some random view I last looked at. Surely other people would like their users to start on a specific view each time??

Solved Solved
3 21 2,521
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, this change in behavior was accidentally introduced probably around the end of 2020 and reported to us.

To @Lynn 's question about the About view, the About view is not a view that app creators define in UX > Views and historically it got its own toggle to enable it. As stated in the description (Instead of a view, show the About pane when the app is started.), it should overwrite the starting view if turned on.

If there is interest for this to be a feature, Iโ€™d recommend one of you to add this to our Feature Requests.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The behavior you want is gone.

@Arthur_Rallu, FYI.

Waitโ€ฆ like โ€œStarting viewโ€ starting view???

Starting view now only applies the very first time the user accesses the app. Thereafter, the app tries very hard to restore the most recent view when the user returns to the app.

Wow. I was wondering why it seemed so erratic these days. I really think there should be the original โ€œstarting viewโ€ option, and if not enabled can default to last view?

Very uncomfortable to find that โ€œstarting viewโ€ is only โ€œone time starting viewโ€.

In some of my apps now shows a blank pageโ€ฆ

Esto me sucede a mi. No es posible que al menos vaya a una vista para evitar una mala usabilidad?

Bahbus

It was a bad change.

Ohhhโ€ฆ I was thinking that setting was going away.

I was likeโ€ฆ
3X_f_1_f15ae96205f0f05b44b4d5344a133181df576c2b.gif

So when does the About view pop up. Is it only a manual select? It was working ok before with the about view for first timers start and Starting view for every day use.

I donโ€™t know.

@Arthur_Rallu?

I was also under the impression that setting was to start the app on the same view every time the app is opened, thatโ€™s much more useful for the users of my app.

My impression is that the old behavior was considered a long-standing bug, that it was never intended to work that way.

Yes, this change in behavior was accidentally introduced probably around the end of 2020 and reported to us.

To @Lynn 's question about the About view, the About view is not a view that app creators define in UX > Views and historically it got its own toggle to enable it. As stated in the description (Instead of a view, show the About pane when the app is started.), it should overwrite the starting view if turned on.

If there is interest for this to be a feature, Iโ€™d recommend one of you to add this to our Feature Requests.

I think the best solution would be to update the Starting View dropdown to be an option of:
-Views in your App
-An expression that generates a navigation link
-โ€œAttempt to resumeโ€ from the last known view

Hereโ€™s my thoughts, most apps, if they are online and have not been touched long enough to require a sync, DONโ€™T want to resume where they left off. Most of the time its also not an issue for these apps either. Production type apps and apps used offline, I can totally see to most of the time wanting to resume. But in any other type of app, it looks sloppy. If Iโ€™m going to get interrupted with a sync (that I didnโ€™t manually trigger), then I might as well also get sent back to my starting view that I defined. HOWEVER, if the app was closed/minimized/whatever for not long enough to trigger a sync, then it 100% should always go back to last known view.

Hey Art, is this still not implemented? I really need users to go to a specific page every time they log into the app. Should I submit this as a feature request?

It's been a while, hope everything is good with you guys.

There has been no change since @Arthur_Rallu's post.

Maybe someone could just accidentally change it back again. it worked quite well how it was.

Wow.  This is like the 4th thing that AppSheet has changed that has made this platform less and less useable for me and my clients.  Very disappointed here.

My apps still won't scroll horizontally in Table View on an iPhone.  This has been an issue for over a year, and I can't seem to get any help from technical support.

Escalated.

Any news?

is there any update on this?

Top Labels in this Space