Support for Excel tables in Workflow Templates

It would be really great if we were able to convert our Excel templates to an Excel table.
This would allow pivot tables to be built into the template and would allow use of Power Query and Power Pivot for analysis of the data.

Template contains an Excel Table which is not supported. Error: The document body is empty",

Status Open
3 8 361
8 Comments
Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

FYG

Martina_Hawkins
Silver 2
Silver 2

Thanks @tsuji_koichi but I need to be able to be able to convert the column data in Excel to a Table. This will allow me to use Pivot tables and the ability to use Power Query/Power BI to analyse the data. If I insert a pivot table I would need to change the source range every time in the template whereas if the data is in an Excel table then the data is dynamic. We use Microsoft 365 and will not be moving to Google.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Im not perfectly sure what you mean with this.

I m using Tableau for data anasysis, so not familiar with Power BI. Appsheet is always hosting the data somewhere clouds. Sounds like you may host your data for your app in Excel Online? In that case, you could directly connect to that data from power bi then should be able to consume in Power BI. That s what I thought.

Martina_Hawkins
Silver 2
Silver 2

In Excel there is a function to convert your data to a Table. This makes the data dynamic. You have to connect Excel Tables in Power Query/Power BI. You cannot connect if the data is just a range.
Same with creating normal Pivot tables/charts in Excel.

I can connect my source data (the data that is imported into Appsheet) to PowerBI as this data can be in table format. I just cannot create a pivot table in a workflow template as that data cannot be in table format.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Okey thanks, but i m not really using Excel for years. Not much knowledge and help.
Im sorry.

whatever61

I have the same need.
Appsheet and Power BI is not cooperating well, because of this reason.

Appsheet doesn’t store the synced data into a table, but under it instead. PowerBI service can get data only from a table.

Did you find a solution for this?

SkrOYC
Gold 5
Gold 5

That’s not true btw. I can see the data by it’s sheet name
3X_a_a_aa2e3a449a6fff5ae9736126d2785cb80f4d23d5.png

PowerBI can even get data from .csv
You can make those from AppSheet really easy

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager