Sync Action?

jwong
Participant I

Is it possible access the sync function as an action?

My goal is to include the “sync action” in a sequence of actions, only to be executed if a certain condition is true. I know how to do this with actions in general.

Essentially I would like my app to sync immediately if a certain condition is met, otherwise, delayed sync is fine.

Thanks,

Solved Solved
1 19 6,364
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bahbus
Participant V

To do that with delayed sync on, the easiest way is to create link actions that force the sync. Something like LINKTOVIEW("ViewName")&"&at="&(NOW()+1).

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Bahbus
Participant V

To do that with delayed sync on, the easiest way is to create link actions that force the sync. Something like LINKTOVIEW("ViewName")&"&at="&(NOW()+1).

This works perfectly - Thank you

I dont fully understand how this works though… im not familiar with this syntax

Including the &"&at="&(NOW()+1) is what is causing the sync. It is appending a string to the dynamic URL saying to load this view and all related data as it exists NOW().

So how would you make it so it syncs after you make an edit to some tables, but not others?

Here’s a quick example of how I could use the action system to force a sync when saving from a specific form (but not others).

Along the same lines, if you wanted to include a sync whenever you simply press an action button: here’s how I incorporated that into the invoicing section of an app of mine.

If I understand this correctly, this forced sync occurs as part of an action that a user performs. Is there a way to force an immediate update as a result an external source updating a spreadsheet which is linked to AppSheet?

Nope.

Thanks @Bahbus, but I cannot use this in an automation bot with the action type "go to another view within this app", isn't it?

I would like to sync the data during execution of an automation bot.

Do you have any idea?
Thanks, Joachim

Automation occurs entirely on the server. It is not possible to perform a navigation action with Automation. Forcing an app sync requires the use of a navigation action, so is not possible with Automation.

Hi...when I use this action i can see only source table is getting updated. Is there anyway to update all table by execuitng action. 

MultiTech
Participant V

You can even include this action into a stack of actions, where you could have several actions that fire off an update some information, and then the sync happens. It’s a really slick system.

Thanks @MultiTech_Visions Just as a feature request, there should be a sync action.

aeastham
Participant II

Unfortunately an action that includes this can’t be used in bulk actions (If you include LIONKTOVIEW in an action, it doesn’t display in available bulk actions)

What I would really like to be able to do is perform the action on the rows, then submit the data once when the action has finished.

I need the data to sync immediately whenever this action is performed by the user but it’s annoying for the user that they need to submit and wait multiple times.

Bulk actions with a final submit option would be perfect.

Another useful feature would be the ability to make certain actions ONLY available in bulk select mode. Is that possible?

Andy

I’m not sure you’re ever going to get around this. I mean… the data DOES have to be uploaded at some point… and that can only happen so fast… so…

I’m sure there’s a way to smooth out this interaction; if you describe what you’re doing, and what you have in place already, I’m sure we (the community) could help find a better way.

aeastham
Participant II

Hi,

Thanks for responding. After playing with this, I have managed to get it mostly working with the parts that don’t redirect you to another view. You just have to do a manual sync after all of updates have occurred, rather than it automatically syncing for you if you click the inline action. There is a slow workflow on submission, so it’s much better to to one sync that takes 2 minutes rather than the tedious process of 5 syncs with a 20 second delay in between them.

The only downside is that it’s now possible for the user to forget to sync after doing the bulk action.

Andy

MultiTech
Participant V

Best you can do is notify users that they should update their app with a text/push notification

So is there a way to send a message inside the application stating that there was an update in the database?

@Eschiantarelli please see the following articles:

Top Labels in this Space