Sync is 3 times longer in Office 365 Onedrive...

Sync is 3 times longer in Office 365 Onedrive for Business than in G-Suite. My client wants to move from G-Suite to Office 365. I copied the app and data into the Office 365 account.

The data is in a OneDrive for Business Excel workbook. I expected it to be a little slower, but 3 times will not be acceptable.

Any suggestions other than forget Excel and Office 365?

Not a good option. Here are test results for deployed version of both apps. Thx.

1 17 1,773
17 REPLIES 17

I believe you will find that it is a OneDrive issue. OneDrive has a lower overhead on your devices as it does not poll as much as other cloud storage but its refresh rate is a lot slower. I am in a similar situation wih the added complication that my app uses csv files which I now need to convert to Excel.

I had same issue recently.

This was my previous post fyg.

plus.google.com - Migrate App to Office 365, but sync slow down. My app is based on data from โ€ฆ

Moving to office 365 will pose some restriction.

App user can not access to the app while the app creator are working on the backend spreadsheet (Excel) even by opening the file only, where Google sheets pose any issues unlikely. Sync speed is obviously slow down, in my case was almost double amount of time to complete each sync.

Migrate App to Office 365, but sync slow down. My app is based on data from โ€ฆ plus.google.com

@Richard_Barber, those time differences seem too much. Also I donโ€™t understand the admin login and user login times. The 10 fold difference in time to add a row also doesnโ€™t make sense to me. Would you mind sending the app details to support@appsheet.com so that we can take a look at it.

Also FYI, Office365 requires the Premium plan (donโ€™t want you to be stuck with the wrong plan).

As a general comment, there are two big upsides to using a database provider instead of a spreadsheet provider:

a) ability to push simple security filter conditions to the database โ€” this means that only the relevant data is retrieved from the database (ideally, using a database index for efficiency). In the case of a spreadsheet, all the data has to be read and then filtered by our backend.

b) greater concurrency if multiple users are making changes at the same time

@James_W_Rezin, your comments about OneDrive sync frequency seem to refer to the OneDrive client apps. That doesnโ€™t have a bearing on AppSheet sync performance. It does affect the observed behavior for you if you are accessing a local copy of a OneDrive file (it needs to stay in sync with its cloud version).

@praveen can you explain exactly what you mean with your security comment. Iโ€™ve been getting this general feel that Iโ€™m supposed to be doing security at my database level but donโ€™t understand how to do that as Iโ€™m super new to SQL

It is a scalability/performance issue rather than a security issue. See help.appsheet.com - Scaling Using Security Filters Scaling Using Security Filters help.appsheet.com

@praveen fascinatingโ€ฆ I understand now. Is there any way to verify/confirm that appsheet is going to convert from expression to awesome query?

No way to confirm it. Thatโ€™s a good idea โ€“ we should indicate this in the performance analyzer.

It will do this for simple conditions of the form [Column] {=, >, <} something_that_evaluates_to_a_constant

it will also do this for AND([Column1] = constant, [Column2] = constant)

But using OR or some other function in a security filter makes it difficult to get the more efficient query behavior.

Whilst searching the web, I found this post.

Not tried it yet but may be useful. andreklein.net - How To Force Microsoft OneDrive To Sync More Often How To Force Microsoft OneDrive To Sync More Often andreklein.net

The sync times seem a little high to begin with. Have you played with the analyzer and tried cleaning up the app yet. Mine used to be around the 5 second mark and Iโ€™ve got it down to 1.5โ€ฆ maybe if you get some efficiencies there or would help?

In my case, additional amount of time spent to run calc for virtual column which slowed down sync. As far as I see the feedback from Praveen, it was general stuffs to take longer time on Office 365 than Google Sheet.

I was looking for the solution to scale up the app (to be free from concern to reach to the number of cells and rows) when I consider to migrate to Office 365. At the end , I moved to SQL as data source by coping app from G Suite.

@tsuji_koichi how much faster is SQL?

@Grant_Stead Hi Grant, on my particular case, not remarkable difference in terms of sync time, but I would say SQL is slightly faster.

It takes approx 6 sec on sql in average while 8 sec on google sheet. So SQL won. SQL brought additional benefit to me as well. My app contains thousands of images. On google sheet, to display all the images on each views, it take a while. Sometime a mins to finish cache image. However, on SQL, all the images are available and being displayed once we finish sync upon launching. It should be case by case where we host the data, but on my particular app (holding bunch of images and no spreadsheet calc) I tend to host on SQL.

I will do some work with the analyzer, but remain dissappointed in the Office 365 experience.

I have found SQL Server on MS Azure to be significantly faster than Google.

For this client, I can not afford to spend the $10/mo/user license fee.

Doing this one on the Standard plan.

@Richard_Barber I always forget about the different plansโ€ฆ

tony1

Adding @Harry fyi

Top Labels in this Space