Table view sorting question. I sort the rows...

Table view sorting question.

I sort the rows in a table view (Table 1) by Column A, and group them by Column B. It all works as expected and it looks beautiful. However, if I click on a column name in that view the table is re-sorted by that column and the grouping is gone. To restore that I have to go to another view and come back to this one. Users can easily tap the column name row by mistake and lose the sorted view; they would then have quit the view etc. Not great, especially when dealing with naive users.

Is there a way to prevent that default sorting action on a particular view?

0 5 798
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Not that I am aware of.

If your data is intuitive, you could remove column headers and this would prevent them from reordering.

Otherwise, I think if you create a dashboard view, and include the table view, I dont think they can reorder the columns unless the click on the table name to expand the view.

Im pretty sure this is how it works when the dashboard has multiple table views, but not sure if this is true for a single table view.

@David_Farris thanks. The data is unreadable without the headersโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll just add a heads-up about this in the documentation and a tip on how to recover.

Thanks!

@David_Farris actually the more I think about it sorting by clicking on the column headers shouldnโ€™t be allowed if the rows are grouped by a specific column, since sorting by clicking totally messes up the grouping. Feature requestโ€ฆ

Yea maybe there should be a toggle to allow headers to sort. I personally like the ability to sort though. It helps when Iโ€™m searching for a specific row or set of rows.

@David_Farris yeah, but if you group them and they get a header above each group of rows, that format disappears when click on the column headers at the top. An option to allow or disable that would be great, although clearly low priority :=)

Top Labels in this Space