Tabs on detail view

Tabs in detail view using show collumns, the same way it works with forms.

I’ve done an workaround with an Enum collumn, quick edit on detail view enabled and show_if based on this collumn, but its kind of messy.

Status Under Review
69 25 2,760
25 Comments
hcquadros

Dashboard view allows tabs on mobile view or narrow browser windows and we can make different detail views of the same table/slice, but doesnt really solves the issue for browsers.

If the the Editor allowed dashboards inside another dashboard (Inception comes to mind) maybe we could make it work on browsers too?

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Yes, this is kinds of MUST HAVE items, especially for users of app who interact with APP mostly on PC, browser.
It should give more easy navigation to switch the view within the same row. Currently when we have long list of columns in a table, then we need to scroll ALL THE WAY down to see the target field. Loads of my clients actually complaining about this interface.

Also I wish to have detail / form view full width option as well.

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Yes please include Tabs capabilities in Detail Views in the same way it is allowed in Forms.

While we have a work-around (below), This being a No Code/Low Code platform needs to aim at ease of use.

hcquadros

This workaround works only on mobiles or narrow browsers. If we could put a Dashboard view inside another Dashboard view (right now, we cannot), we could narrow the one we want to have tabs, so it would also work on an usual browser view.

hcquadros

Any news on this?

hcquadros

Have you found an workaround for this?

I’ve tried and used some workarounds for space saving (page tabs and expand-retract sections with actions, format rules and show-if constraints), but it always involves changes on the database, which can cause many problems, specially with multiple simultaneous users. I feel Detail View needs more attention.

3X_7_1_71d8893072d67dffd88b03bb5a508574f5cfcc8d.gif 3X_f_8_f8f15f34c50047d09d6029254b75f4294a1247f1.gif

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Basically no progress in this regards.

Appsheet was started as platform to create “Mobile Apps!!!” years back. Now they are not saying so, but at the time birth was given.
Detail view still inherit the sprit from there, it is perfect fit with mobile phone, but it does not with browser view. I have been placing bunch of feature request to improve this, but so far no news unfortunately.

I would say this is one of the weakness in Appsheet in terms of UI.

By the way, you are doing great stuffs on your app.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

One trick which I share is “Grouping the columns” within Detail view to present more information as much as possible to app user without letting them scroll all the way down down or up and up to see and find the information they need.

On this gif, you see first the default appsheet detail view.

Then second one is I would say “Set of column are grouped by section”

In this way, we are able to present more information at a glance without scrolling down or up.
And user just hit somewhere the section and be guided to the form view to edit the targetted section only.

This makes I hope my app users life little bit easier, but we still need major change in detail view as a whole in my opinion.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Otherwise, we need this feature as Matt requested before, which is one of awaited feature to come.

@MultiTech_Visions

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Anytime you build out functionality like this, the records that hold the variables need to be user-specific.

I’ll either create the control columns directly in the User table (as a smaller sub-section) or as a dedicated child-table. This way each user is only ever modifying a record that they would normally interact with, and you don’t have cross-talk.

hcquadros

That’s great. Thank you! It really saves a lot of space.

I also used MultiTech advice to change the table in which the data is changed. This helped a lot with simultaneous users.

pravse
Staff

As noted in the comment for a couple of other feature requests, we have a focus this year to improve the app UI for fullscreen browser views.

We will roll this specific ask in along with the overall design work for this effort. I do not yet have any insight to share wrt what we are doing for detail views. But it seems completely sensible to me to align what we do for detail views with what we do with forms (they are duals in most ways).

When there’s design proposals, we’ll come back to the community to share them and seek feedback.

Wiktor_Jurek
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Totally agree with all points above. Currenty working on a CRM with a client in which they need to input a load of data for each client (70+). This becomes very cumbersome to do on the web interface. Glad to hear the AppSheet team are on it

Steve_Chambers
Silver 1
Silver 1

Can i ask what is the column type for your Green numbered titles ?

We cant format column headers so i assume they must be show type columns, however i cannot seem to add inline actions to show type columns

hcquadros

Normal text collumn with some format rules that make it look like Show collumn. Display name set as " " to don’t show the collumn title.

I should add that I’m not using that workaround anymore because it is a bit expensive for the app.

Excited to see what AppSheet team is cooking up.