Take picture automaticly when scaning a QR code

Ami
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi
I have an app with which i scan barcodes.
I want at the same time i scan the barcode, a picture will be taken where the camera is pointing, this in order to verify that the scan is taking place where it should and not in an office.

0 24 4,461
24 REPLIES 24

Iโ€™m afraid thatโ€™s not possible at the same. You would need to use another column for that purpose or something elseโ€ฆ like location.

Hi
I have no problem using another column, the problem is i think creating a workflow that captures an image the same time i scan

As guided by @Aleksi , there is no possibility taking picture and scan simultaneously.

Could you please mention if any workaround is feasible? For example , can the photo and scan be done in quick succession- one after the other? And will there be internet available where the scans and photos are to be taken?

In such a case, I believe some workaround could be possible.

Hi
Idealy it should take place right after the scan without the user having to do it, again, the idea is to prevent โ€œcheatingโ€ by the user, there is internet connection

Hi @1111,

Thank you. Since the idea is to avoid some wrongdoing by the user, you could explore following work around. This of course need good amount of testing and may or may not match your business requirement. However I believe, it is good to share the idea, if it helps.

The user may take the photo and scan in quick succession. If both the fields are marked as required in the form, the user essentially can save the record only when both the fields are filled in. On record save, there could be a workflow to capture the server time. Server time will indicate when the user saved the record. The server time should be within the timeframe the user was at the place when he saved the record.

I also request you to take a look at an informative post on server time wherein @Steve shared his guidance about capturing server time.

I of course tried this idea on a test app and did some minimal testing before sharing.

First, thanks for the time you spend.
My biggest problem with QR scans is that i need to figure out a way for the app to take a photo of the barcode without the user doing anything. A way around this would be perhaps taking a picture of the barcode by the user and later on use OCR to make sense of the barcode. One problem i have with taking pictures is that it asks me first which data source i need and then do i confirm to save the picture, it is time consuming for the user who has to scan 40 barcodes

You are welcome.

I believe you are using Android device. Currently I am unaware of any setting that overrides this default message in Android devices.

Hey @tsuji_koichi as a master of thinking outside the box, can you think about any solution to this thread?
Thanks

If you want to guide the app user to get ready to take photo on mobile rather than taking a step, select either to take photo on mobile or pick file from local storage, you simply turn this off

Then upon click the camera icon on form view on mobile phone, camera is immidiately actvated and ready to take a shot.

No doubt, this will drop the capablity of picking up file from mobile device, so calle trade off.

Great, tnx
And can you think of a way to take a picture while scanning a barcode without the app user doing anything?

Concurrently? then I dont think so.

Regardless of with or without appsheet on device, we need to expliciatly hit button to take a shot. Without mobile user engagement, I dont think any of mobile phone wont activated i.e. to take a shot.

If it does, then I wont use such a phone, as it takes a photo potentially I m not knowing it.

Not possible.

Tnx all for the time spent
Really appreciate it

Hi @tsuji_koichi, I am not able to see the "Allow Image input from gallery " option? could you please help ?

Regards,
Senthil

Hi @SenthilD,

That option is under UX --> Options --> Forms

Iโ€™m afraid there is no way to take a picture automatically at the same time when the barcode is read.

Thank your @Suvrutt_Gurjar, for your quick help as alway.

Regards,
Senthil

Hi @1111
I need the same: Scan a Barcode and take a picture.
Because our Labels have a Barcode to Scan and some other stuff to read via OCR.
@tony mentioned here โ€œI have added combined barcode + OCR scanning to our roadmapโ€

But this is still not available.
So I did what also the others mentioned:
In the form I have 2 columns: [Barcode] and [Image].
Both are required.
Under UX --> Options --> Iโ€™ve enabled โ€œAdvance forms automaticallyโ€.
So when you open the Form, the Scanner opens automatically.
After scanning, the Camera opens automatically.
Because the scanner is so fast, to the user it seems as this would be just one step.

For Barcode scanning they use the Scandit App.
For taking pictures, they use the Camera App on your Phone.
So you can use a Camera App that looks a bit like Scandit, so that the user doesnโ€™t see the difference.
Iโ€™m also still in this processโ€ฆ

Upload a QR code image and extract the data out of it .QR code decoder 

MUNBYN IZP052 touch screen POS Android scanner is a powerful and versatile point of sale solution that combines cutting-edge technology with ease of use. Its compact design and intuitive interface make it an ideal choice for businesses looking to streamline their operations and enhance customer service.

is the solution to the problem worth something. 

my name isy vince segura and i smm a self proclaimed innovation tech ie problem solver ...i aldo am an onventor eho has had two stolen from kme by davison corp and shitty contracts signer beware you cheat me i come a rewrite you dna.  jwhen i become a much better corporstion im hoing yo eat that company and akso the syorage ine im gpubg to rent it out for bums to piss in. soi believe i have a solution but what the first gentleman asked violate his employee fonstituitonal rights and rven if they sign away its still unlawful and abusive however there is a solution i hate thieves an cheaters by the way their only good use is to test theft prevention and there is one other use. 

and youf think with all thiscsoftware and ai that a text like that would be impossible  i hace to use viovce to text and it makes whole senteces up so the human veain can decipher the text but ai cant .m i have a douls to test for that as well 

You might want to look at sdgsystems.com/phototag. It has both a manual and automated "station mode" for scanning barcodes and capturing related photos. The "webhooks" feature may integrate with AppSheet.

Top Labels in this Space