Text field in form not editable from master table or slice view

I have a master customer file with a slice for temporary locations.
My form shows the temporary location (it is a text type with the formula [CustomerL,F].[Temp loc] ) but it will not allow the form view to edit it or change it.
How do I get my form to see this changeable column in the master table & slice view and be able to change/select & edit it??? It is not a key or label.
I have to leave the form and go to the table slice view to edit it.
Please help.

0 20 2,580
20 REPLIES 20

@Rallee_Chupich
Thatโ€™s a de-ref value and you cannot edit it if itโ€™s an AppFormula. If you use the expression in the Initial Value, then you can edit that value.

@LeventK

When you say expression do you mean just write the concatenate formula in the initial value ?

@Rallee_Chupich
I meant your [CustomerL,F].[Temp loc] expression

Thanks

Trying to work thru and reorganize the app.

Rallee

@LeventK

Iโ€™m having issues with creating a unique customer ID because we work with customers that have numerous boats and I donโ€™t always have it correct serial number to use as the unique ID. I want to make forums and other related views and donโ€™t know whatโ€™s the best unique ID to use because if I do just a random unique ID can the forms and other related views have a nice drop-down that shows the employee The customer name with boat information and not just some weird unique ID?

Rallee

Hello Ralle, What I have found works best to keep the IDs unique but be able to select from a drop down menu that makes sense is:

#1 - keep the uniqueID hidden and donโ€™t use it as a label
#2- use the Concatenate function to create a virtual column that summarizes each row in a way that is unique (usually by combining two or more text type columns )
#3- select your โ€œuniqueโ€ virtual column as the โ€œlabelโ€ (under column structure) so users can identify easily what record they are looking for in a drop down.

If you do it that way, the uniqueID function will protect the integrity of your records but the label will be much more user friendly. Hope this helps!

Thank you

Ok - So now I see that I can edit this expression by putting it in the initial value, but how do I make it my drop downs from the original master file? I do not want people to free write here?

I appreciate your help.

@Rallee_Chupich
Change your column type to ENUM, set Base Type to EMAIL, set Allow other values and Auto-complete other values properties to OFF.

So another issue just happenedโ€ฆ
When I set my form Customer L,F column to Ref my master data and have a virtual column in my master data so it is easy to select, but now the column CustomerL,F on my form is being filled in as the uniqueID which makes no sense to look at. How do I actually then display the customer virtual column and not the โ€œkeyโ€ unique value???

Thanks

@Rallee_Chupich
Mark your customer virtual column as Label

@LeventK
Iโ€™m sorry, I am super confused as to what I have done that messed it up.

All I have is a master file and am creating a delivery/movement sheet from it but it allows for assigning people, picking from customers or just free writing for driver/yard items.

I tried the enum change that you recommended, but my list in my master file is not coming up? How do I pull the enum list from the original?

So another issue just happenedโ€ฆ
When I set my form Customer L,F column to Ref my master data and have a virtual column in my master data so it is easy to select, but now the column CustomerL,F on my form is being filled in as the uniqueID which makes no sense to look at. How do I actually then display the customer virtual column and not the โ€œkeyโ€ unique value???

Thanks

@Rallee_Chupich
#1 To prefill/set the default values to an ENUM column, you can construct an expression in Valid_if property i.e.

SELECT(TableName[ColumnName],{Yes/No Condition})This expression will create a dropdown filled with the values in TableName table [ColumnName] column with the data matching the {Yes/No Condition} you set.

#2 In REF type columns, the values that are shown in the dropdown are read from the column which is marked as Label in the tableโ€™s column structure. However, the Key columnโ€™s value is recorded to the sheet and in the Detail View for that table, again the Label values are shown with a blue right chevron action button indicating that itโ€™s a REF value.

Hope itโ€™s clear now.

@LeventK
So if I wasnโ€™t clear on my Temp Loc file that needs the drop down, this is a field that pulls from the master but should be editable by drop down in the form.

R

@LeventK
My master file has the customer virtual column marked label

So the app view shows customer virtual column, but my tables in google sheets show the unique id (anyway to have the virtual column shown in the backend?

@Rallee_Chupich
The logic of the REF is to establish a unique connection with the child records, therefore the Unique ID is recorded to the sheet. But as I have explained you can still view the Label for that ref in the app. Provided you also want to record the ref columnโ€™s label to the sheet, than you need to insert an additional column to your gSheet and assign a de-ref expression as an AppFormula for this column and you can choose to hide/show it in the form.

Question - I have my formula set in the initial value and it is a column in my gsheet, but it does not update when the referencing info is changed? Does it have to be a virtual column to change or what am I missing? I have 2 columns that reference my master and neither reflect changes. confused about why references donโ€™t change?

@Rallee_Chupich
Inital Value is computed only ONCE and thatโ€™s when you are creating a new record. AppFormula expressions are re-computed every time you edit a record. Provided you want your expression to be re-computed/re-evaluated when you edit a record than you need to either use your expression in AppFormula, or use it in Initial Value but turn on Reset on edit property and set an expression on what conditional rule you want it to be resetted.

So I have it set as a AppFormula but it does not show changes when the master file is re-computed/edited. Do I still need to turn on โ€œReset on edit?โ€ ? and what would be an example of the expression I need?

I will try it - Thanks

Top Labels in this Space