Text font trick

Did anyone else know this was possible using “copy and paste” text…
2X_d_d7ecc5f51410e61995064e5b1d748be3cecc4f29.png

5 21 4,393
21 REPLIES 21

How did you do that?

@Fabian
It’s a simple copy&paste to the content property of a show type column. It works as shown but devs should bear in mind that this kinda things might appear completely different thru each device OS. It look pretty but it’s a bit risky as well as you cannot ensure maintaining the same format.

Okay I see. But it seems also that the Column name of the Date Column is with that font. How is that possible?

@Fabian I bet it’s the Display Name property…As I said, copy&paste works but its result is not reliable and can change as per device OS.

Hello,
These characters each have unique Unicodes and cannot be typed directly from a keyboard, but from a unicode text convertor eg. here http://qaz.wtf/u/convert.cgi?text=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz , or https://igfonts.io/
Once generated you simply copy the generated text and can paste in any text field and it will appear as the fancy font. You can paste anywhere including instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc. Including appsheet fields. You cannot however edit directly from your keyboard as with regular characters… It’ll even work right here eg…🅒🅘🅡🅒🅛🅔🅓, 🆂🆀🆄🅰🆁🅴🅳, uʍoᗡ ǝpıSd∩, etc.
You can also create your own using a mixture of characters and symbols and use the same way. Not sure about it not working in some devices as the character set is not device dependent. That said I’I’ve not used it very extensively myself.

I found another use for the unicode text converter you introduced.

In my app, I need to use lots of abbreviations in a table in order to avoid wasting space:

2X_9_98ecf1ebda48af9e55a322cc6ee33cfd192dfbe6.png

I have a list of these abbreviations in the associated detail view. The fonts helped by make the origin of each abbreviation more obvious:

2X_e_e8480b1ef6d300849187621640b20db342a54122.png

Cool

I was pleased with the faux fonts I found here but today I discovered that my Nougat android device can’t display most of these characters. Is this just because my device is old and has an old operating system? Or, is this an Android thing? @Gerald_Kariuki, @Fabian, @Swoopy, @Suvrutt_Gurjar, @Heru, have any of your used these sorts of letters and/or emojis on an Android device? Rereading @LeventK’s comment I now think that I should have paid more attention to his warning.

Hi @Kirk_Masden, I have just tested in my android and the emojis are still there. A bit different, but I am ok with it.

If you were dealing with serious application, it would be better to get back to basics.

That’s what I did.

Swoopy
Participant V

2X_5_55d146913d77292db4c962b388ceb87b8a49bad4.png

This works even in the app’s name itself.

A question to AppSheet team, will there be any problems if we name our app like this?

Hi @Kirk_Masden,

@LeventK’s comment is very valid. I general, as it happens with any evolving technology, typically earlier versions of hardware or software platforms do not support latest developments.

In another discussion thread we had on this subject, we had discussed at length on unicode characters’ not being displayed in reports.

Finding "countersink" and other special characters

I also referred exactly similar observations on OS as well.

Due to these limitations, I have not used emojis in production level apps. I believe @tsuji_koichi may have more insights to share as he has mentioned use of emojis in his apps.

Emoji (in my local terms I write 絵文字) is not shown in the way exactly same across the different OS, basically devices, where we have to be careful.

For instance, if I place Santa Claus Emoji to the app, it will be displayed differently across the different devices.

When I use the Emoji, I make sure the selected emoji should be available for the devices/OS my app users are using.

Most of the companies, in my case, my clients, should have “standard” for their devices. For instance, one company is Iphone is standard to them. In that case, I will check if the selected Emoji is available on IOs + Windows which is usual and standard for their office.

Just scrutiny, what sort of OS and device the app users would use. Then check the compatibility and availability of Emoji for those devices.

Some Emoji is not available for a certain OS and devices, then rule out those to use.

Make sense?

Absolutely yes @tsuji_koichi. You have given a kind of very practical checklist before using those emojis. Thank you.

Edit: On that note , I have also seen that websites such as https://emojipedia.org/ do mention how a particular emoji will render in different operating systems. The site also mentions, how emojis will be supported on different devices for an OS and different versions of an OS

Yes, thank you, I also refer to it.
If one emoji have high number of compatibility to the different OS, then I will take one. Unfortunately some of Emoji is NOT going to be rendered to a certain OS and devices, then i rule it out.

Thanks! I think I missed @tsuji_koichi’s checklist. @tsuji_koichi, do you have a URL for that checklist?

It is not necessarily check list type of website.

Hit any icon you have interest. And it render the different icon based on the different OS.

But you can check the actual icon which appears on different type of mobile/OS through this site. I reckon other Emoji related site does the same or similar.

I use this Emoji in my App:

I have Huawei P10 lite Android 8.0.0
When I use this Emoji in WhatsApp, it works.
In my AppSheet App it’s not working. It looks like this:
2X_1_1e176e72ad5470da3ef4a4e890a9df613d3358da.png
Do you know how I can update my phone?

EDIT: I learned that WhatsApp uses his own Emoji Library. Other Apps like AppSheet seam to use the System Fonts. So if I have an old OS on my Phone (I have Android 8.0.0) I will not be able to see new Emojis. I have to wait until I get an Android update.
Am I right?

Some said it could help to restart the Phone and Clear the Cache of the App where you don’t see the Emoji.

Very nice! Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space