The following custom Google sheet function fi...

The following custom Google sheet function finds the author of a book from Goodreads’ website by passing the ISBN of the book to the function.

Can we do this from within Appsheet?

Is this webhooks?

function GETAUTHOR(ISBN) {

ISBN = encodeURIComponent(ISBN);

var url = ‘https://www.goodreads.com/search/index.xml?key=[MY KEY]&q=’ + ISBN;

var response = UrlFetchApp.fetch(url).getContentText();

var xml = XmlService.parse(response);

var root = xml.getRootElement();

var author = root

.getChild(‘search’)

.getChild(‘results’)

.getChild(‘work’)

.getChild(‘best_book’)

.getChild(‘author’)

.getChild(‘name’)

.getValue();

return author; }

0 7 712
7 REPLIES 7

You can use IMPORTHTML or IMPORTXML in Gsheets. https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093342?hl=en&ref_topic=3105411

@Bellave_Jayaram The custom function works great in Gsheets.

I do not need to replace it.

I am just trying to figure out how to bring this function (or something that accomplishes the same) into Appsheet.

Okay. All you have to do is put the custom function as a container bound script and you can use that function in any cell in your sheet.

You cannot access that function directly from AppSheet (I mean in an app formula).

@Bellave_Jayaram I was pleasantly surprised to find that Appsheet automatically copies the function as new rows are added so it works for me now in the prototype.

For some reason, I didn’t think Appsheet worked that way.

I ultimately want to move to MySQL which may or may not have this functionality.

Can Appsheet do something like this on its own without relying on the Gsheet custom function?

I don’t know whether you would be able to do it with MySQL. Also, AppSheet cannot do what you want on its own yet. A good enhancement request though.

@praveen

@Bellave_Jayaram I thought I saw somewhere that Appsheet will, in the near future, have the capability to take a record from one table and then append it to another.

This would be a good solution for me if it was in the form of an action the could be invoked from a workflow.

I could use the Gsheet to get info on a book using the custom function and then append the Gsheet row to the MySQL table.

Am I correct? @praveen

Lastly, I would need to append values - not the formula.

Top Labels in this Space