This is a strange question... If I have a tab...

This is a strange question… If I have a tab/sheet with a lot of queries, formulas, etc, slow running. But I mark it as read only on the Appsheet side. Is it fast or slow when the user does a full sync?

0 5 280
5 REPLIES 5

Google vs. SQL?

Of course SQL @Grant_Stead

Harry2

@Grant_Stead If you turn on server-caching, read-only tables will be cached, which will reduce the amount of data transferred and improve performance. If you also turn on delta-sync, you can put your read-only data into the same workbook to help AppSheet better track whether the data has been modified. This in turn allows AppSheet to use cached data more frequently. You can read more about it here:

help.appsheet.com - Improving the Speed of Sync

Between Google and SQL, Google has very decent performance and is much easier to use for most users. However, if you have very large data sets and performance is critical to your app, then SQL might be a better choice. Improving the Speed of Sync help.appsheet.com

@Harry Interesting… I’ve had real issues using Delta Sync. Is there a way to use it without it being funky? Like shoudl the “Read Only” tables be in their own workbook?

Harry2

@Grant_Stead They don’t have to be, but we highly recommend that they are. This is because AppSheet relies on the modification time of the entire workbook, not individual worksheets, to determine whether or not to use cache data. Putting read-only tables into the same workbook with other tables means that all of them will share the same modification time. If any of the other tables is modified, AppSheet will thus decide that it can’t use the cached data of the read-only tables even though these tables haven’t changed.

Top Labels in this Space