Thumbnail vs. Image - I don't understand the ...

Thumbnail vs. Image - I don’t understand the difference between them so far as an Appsheet column config goes.

If I have a single Image column, for people to upload say personnel images. Now those are locked into an IMAGE column, what if I need to use the “Benefits” if any of the Thumbnail type? I guess I just don’t get it?

0 4 2,607
4 REPLIES 4

Harry2
Participant V

@Grant_Stead Could you elaborate on what you want to achieve? What do you mean by images being “locked” into an image column? And what “benefits” of thumbnails are you looking for?

@Harry That’s what i’m asking you.

Why is there two different types, thumbnail and image. What’s the differences?

Harry2
Participant V

@Grant_Stead The biggest difference is size. Thumbnails are generally much smaller compared to images. This will considerably reduce sync time, but the display quality and resolution of thumbnails are also worse. To accommodate this, the display configurations of thumbnails will be different from those of images, and hence there must be a separate column type for thumbnails to allow the app to recognize them.

Resurrecting this old thread.

Could we get more detailed information as to the differences between the following column types:

• Thumbnails
  • Image / drawing
  • SHOW → Image columns

Specifically, I am curious about:

• How AppSheet loads these (e.g. are they cached differently for offline operation)
  • Does AppSheet treat their maximum resolutions differently
  • Does AppSheet handle their loading differently, or are they all treated the same (for example, are they all always lazy-loaded, or are thumbnails loaded all at once?)

The reason I ask these questions is, from my testing and use case, I see pretty much no difference between the thumbnail / image column types. There are differences between SHOW → image, most noteably that SHOW → images are not clickable and have no column header in form / detail views.

@Harry @morgan

Top Labels in this Space