Tips on creating a DashBoard with filters and...

Tips on creating a DashBoard with filters and plenty of correlations?

1st of all, I want to say I did not understand the “Slice Based on User Input” How-To App.

The filter is working like a form, where you select two different itens on a ENumList… however, we all know forms can’t be incorporated on a dashboard. And really, looking at the App, that Filter view is set as detail.

Then, if it’s a DETAIL view, how are we able to select RED or BLUE color?

I tried doing the same… created a filter view. At first I did not insert any data, just configured the columns with ENUM lists picking lists from other tables. Did not work.

Then I made the Filter view a form, saved a single line and made it a detail view again, to be able to insert it into the dashboard. No luck either. Now the data were set in stone unless I edit it.

So, back to my dashboard.

I have 4 tables.

1 - Client Contracts. In this table, each row is a different client contract, defined by a number. Then there is tons of info, like name of client, client address, contract value, contract final value, lots of dates, etc. This is a parent table.

2 - Invoices child table. This table has a list of invoices for all clients, but as a child table, each invoice is associated to a single client It has fields like Invoice Number, Issue Date, Type, Raw Value, Liquid Value, etc.

3 - It’s a Government Budget Commitment List, where we control how much of the Commitment is left (as commitments have lots of bureaucracy to be issued, we can´t spend $$$$, issue an invoice just to discover there is no budget commitment to pay what we spent. It’s fields are Number, Type and Value.

4 - Diverse Processes - Mostly, the register of Protocols asking for prorrogation of dates or readjustment of price due to inflation or increase in total value of contract due to increase in scope.

Both 2, 3 and 4 are CHILD tables of 1.

Furthermore, Table 1 has too much data to be seen as a table. It must be shown as a Detail List.

The idea is to have a TABLE list with all the contracts (maybe it would be ideal to filter by Contract Status (Active, Inactive, Ended, etc)

But the list can only be sorted, unless instead of a table list I have a dashboard where I have a large tableview and a wide one where I can select contract status to filter the table above. But then, how to filter? Again, I did not understand the mechanism from the How-To example.

I created an action, when clicking on any of the Contracts on the table, we go to a Dashboard view where we have the Detail View of that contract (as a tall column, so we can see all the text and values information)

It’s here that I have more questions.

1: when using the Desktop version, we don´t have the option to scroll.

So If I add several LARGE table views (2, 3 and 4) they end up like SMALL views where I can´t see the info I need.

Is it possible to have a small filter view on the Dashboard where I change one of the Dashboard views (just one of them) from 2 to 3 or 4? (Invoices, Commitments, Protocols)? So I can have each of these important views in a big format, while never leaving the main dashboard view with the Contract Details.

It would also need sums of several columns in all those tables. I made a request for AppSheet to add an option on Table View to add a last line with automatic summaries (sums, averages) of the specific column.

But I would also need to filter some of the data… for example… I want to see, inside contract 750, only invoices of the type Readjustment…

0 4 1,705
  • UX
4 REPLIES 4

ps: why don´t I just use Google Data Studio?

1 - while it has filters and sums, it seems unable to do the correlations between child and parent tables.

2 - it doesn´t have a DETAIL view, to show in detail a single row of the table.

tony1

@Rogerio_Penna Quick edit allows you to edit values in a detail view.

Sorry Tony, maybe I expressed myself wrong somewhere in this wall of text, but I do not want to edit values in this app. It would be only to visualize data inserted in Google Sheets by a BPM software.

I believe that @tony was explaining the functionality of the “Slice based on user input” app that you mentioned. In that app, they are manipulating the value of one row in a dedicated table which acts as a filter. They have it set to allow “updates” but not “add” or “delete”. They use the detail view to show the value in that one row, and set it as a ‘Quick Edit’ column. This allows you to update the value displayed in that row, without actually adding a new row (which would require a form).

Meanwhile, they use a slice with a filter formula to only show data where the color is equal to the value displayed in the dedicated filter table. You need to use a “list” formula to do this, which would not usually work to compare against a single value. To get around this, they use the “Any” function. This selects a random value from the column. In this case, there is only one value in the column, so the “random” value will always be the one displayed in the filtered row.

Top Labels in this Space