Tool Tips over Action Buttons?

Mike_A
Participant V

Not sure how others feel, but when I use Actions and “display prominently”, I often wish there were hover tips to explain the action button function. When I add “non-standard” actions like “save as CSV”, it can be hard for the user to know what the button does.

Maybe a press-and-hold on mobile devices like the graphs? Anybody think this is worth doing and does appsheet team think this is possible?

2X_5_5dd0fe0744d722d6c17e8ea49c60b74d1958a81c.png

HOW DO FEEL ABOUT ADDING TOOLTIPS as a feature to Actions?

• I wish Action Buttons could have hover tips so users knew what the button actually does
    • I don’t really care for hover tips and am just fine with blind button clicking.

0 voters

Also… go ahead and press the vote button at the top of the page if this feature interests you.
2X_1_1c5800aa862e7eef9d522fd84373350ef2fed8df.png

Status Open
1 12 1,947
12 Comments
Aleksi
Staff

The confirmation message is meant for that purpose so the user won’t need to press something as blind. Do you think that would not be enough?

Mike_A
Participant V

The problem with using confirmation messages for help is it adds another click for every single user, while tooltips provide optional guidance. Those that need it use it, and those that don’t can skip it.

Kirk_Masden
Participant V

Hi @Mike!

I wonder what you think of this tip:

It’s not an ideal solution but perhaps it might be a useful technique until the feature you requested is added.

Austin
Participant V

This needs a bump badly.

pravse
Staff

This one is being rolled under an overall revisit of the app UI for web browser/desktop form factors. That is an emphasis for us this year. The changes will not be monolithic but will be gradual/incremental over the course of many months.

Whether on desktop or on mobile, we will end up following whatever guidelines Material UI lays out for tooltips.

Austin
Participant V

Heck yes! I was literally asked by a user for tool tips a few days ago.

JCCaridad
Community Visitor

Me parece!

Richard_Melling

Hi,

I was just wondering if the new tooltips would also extend to things like truncated text in table views?

Arthur_Rallu
Staff

Hi Richard,
We have a new feature in the Preview Program that could solve your truncated text issue in table views. The feature lets you resize the column widths in a table view. It might be sufficient in most cases, but probably not for a LongText field.

Arthur_Rallu
Staff

I believe this tooltip for floating action button is coming your way pretty soon, per a recent feature release note.

Austin
Participant V

HELL TO THE FRENCH YA! Unfortunately this means I’m gonna have quite a workload ahead of me adding tooltips to all my buttons

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager