Total Sales Column

I have a table of Repair Orders, and each Repair Order has a Sale Column with the total Sales for the Repair Order. What would be the best way to get a Grand Total of all the sales? Should I create a separate table with a virtual column? My end goal is to display total sales on a dashboard along with some other metrics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 8 1,470
8 REPLIES 8

@AsherDSimp_simpson
Not exactly the same question - as mine was count and your is total, but you might want to scan this conversation thread. Might help?
Most efficient formula to count records

Hi @AsherDSimp_simpson Have you had a look at the โ€œSales Reportโ€ sample App?

Thanks for the replies everyone!! I checked the โ€œSales Reportโ€ App, and although it is a neat and very useful app, I donโ€™t know if it completely solves my problem. I need to total several hundred rows that have sales in one column. From what I can see in the app, values are totaled horizontally on a row by row basis, but not vertically. Here is an example of what I am looking for. Thanks again!!
2019-05-02_LI|624x432

Getting a sum of a column in a table is easy: SUM(Repair Orders[Sale]). But where to enter the expression, and where to display the result? Your idea to create a separate table with a virtual column to compute the sum is a good one, and would work well with your dashboard goal. That very same table and row could also be used for other roll-up metrics you want to calculate.

You didnโ€™t need our help, you already knew the answer.

HI Steve, Looking at something similar - most punters have said that Virtual columns slow down your Appโ€™s performance - I require a number (20+) of Total columns - should I do this with a standard column in a different table ?

I canโ€™t say what you โ€œshouldโ€ do without more information.

Virtual columns are more likely to contribute to performance problems if any of the following are true:

Virtual columns are less likely to contribute to performance problems if the following are true:

• The table with the virtual column has few rows.

• The virtual columnโ€™s App formula expression only uses raw values and/or references to column values in the same row (i.e., doesnโ€™t use dereferences or queries to gather or use values from other rows).

Unfortunately it will be using de-references and I believe the column will get large (although the Totals will be based on a subset from an ID column in the table)

Top Labels in this Space