Trigger workflow

Can an update made by a workflw trigger another workflow?

0 6 976
6 REPLIES 6

Workflows trigger actions. I think you can have a have a workflow trigger more than one actions, which sounds like what you probably would like to do. Or, perhaps something done by one action (writing a value to a column, for example) could trigger a different workflow.

That is exactly what I want, I have a workflow that sets a column to true, I need another workflow to check some conditions once this column is set to true, but Is not working, It is like the second workflow is not triggered.

@jujogar10
Workflow triggers work only once. You cannot trigger a workflow by changing a value with another workflow. Thatโ€™s only doable with using AppSheet API.

Levent is correct that a workflow can invoke a DataChange action. As he said, that DataChange will not invoke another workflow rule.

We do not support this because we were worried that this might lead to an infinite regress where a DataChange would trigger a workflow, that triggered a DataChange, that triggered a workflow, and so on.

Changes made through the AppSheet API do invoke workflow rule.

Would Kirk Masdenโ€™s suggestion work for you? A workflow rule can perform a sequence of DataChanges. Could you simply chain the DataChanges?

thansk, my solution was to workflows triggering at the same time but checking different conditions.

Hi Juan,

I am not sure I understand your most recent reply.

You originally wrote: โ€œCan an update made by a workflow trigger another workflow?โ€

You then wrote: โ€œThat is exactly what I want, I have a workflow that sets a column to true, I need another workflow to check some conditions once this column is set to true, but Is not working, It is like the second workflow is not triggered.โ€

The answer to your first post is: No it cannot.

The answer to your second post is: You observation is correct. The second workflow rule is not triggered.

My post above explains the reason we do not support this. I wrote:

We do not support this because we were worried that this might lead to an infinite regress where a DataChange would trigger a workflow, that triggered a DataChange, that triggered a workflow, and so on.

Is this clear?

Top Labels in this Space