Turn Off Auto Generated Views/Actions -> Include System Type in 'New' Modals

System actions and views immediately clutter my apps and, in addition, for the most part, I end up needing to duplicate these actions or views to get full functionality. ‘Hide System Actions/Views’ becomes less of a feature and more of another thing to check when I can’t find something. It would be preferable to include system options in the New View or Action modal. That way, if I want to add an edit overlay or add inline action, I can easily select the pre-made one from the list but, if I don’t, I don’t have to spend the rest of my life turning Prominence to Do Not Display.

Status Open
0 14 475
14 Comments
MultiTech
Participant V

Hmmm… I can see what you mean, but the other side might be the same exact thing - spending hours going through and adding things.

An interesting request - one that demands further consideration I think.

Jordan_Davis1
Participant V

It’s definitely an impedement to my style of building but, you’re right, I’m sure it’s useful for others, especially those just starting out. If it could be an option in settings, it would definitely save me a lot of time.

Also, on an unrelated note, don’t you think that headers should be an option in more views than just table and detail? Card VIew would be amazing except no one knows what ‘that date’ or ‘that number’ refers to.

Jordan_Davis1
Participant V

just imagine…

MultiTech
Participant V

Formatting Rules are a thing, you can apply a great deal of customization using these.

Jordan_Davis1
Participant V

Agreed but that get’s you into dangerous sync time territory. Sync time is the income tax of appsheet. The more you make the more you spend. That said, I really appreciate your tutorials, they helped me out so much when I was just getting started!

Steve
Participant V

Format rules have no effect on sync time.

MultiTech
Participant V

I could show you some apps that clients made, that beg to differ.

Brute-force seems to be the way people are accomplishing their complicated logic. The more I talk to people, the more I see the problem they’re facing is all around the fact that they’ve not organized their data appropriately and used SELECT() statements they found in the community to make everything work.

Jordan_Davis1
Participant V

Oh really? I feel like I’ve frequently seen comments to the contrary i.e. Tips to improve Sync Times - 40-50 sec sync times - #4 by Grant_Stead

Thanks for clearing that up, Steve, that’s really good to know! It’s time to insert some color

Jonathan_S
Participant V

Just be careful, if your format rules have very complicated expressions, than it will effect sync time… just not the format rules themselves.

Steve
Participant V

As I understand it, format rules are evaluated at display time, not during sync.

MultiTech
Participant V

This is good to know.

Jordan_Davis1
Participant V

Agreed, I’ve minimized the number of select statements and virtual columns but the sync time is still substantial. Moreover, I find it difficult to glean anything from the performance analyzer. Accordingly, when sync time jumps from 10 seconds to 30, 60, or 90 seconds, I don’t know if it’s because of a certain expression or if it’s because of something else. If the performance analyzer was improved, it would help me better understand what expressions are costly and/or cause me to think of more efficient ways to organize data. Right now I feel like i’m flying in the dark.

Grant_Stead
Participant V

Is this why when I have a map with tooo much custom formatting it blinks a lot…

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager