UK Telephone numbers

Hi, so i am really confused how to get UK telephone numbers into Google Sheets and subsequently AppSheet. I found the only way i can get the UK phone number into Google Sheets is to set a custom number format (as Google sheets wonโ€™t let me enter a number with a leading 0 without removing it, so found I could add a โ€œ+44โ€ instead), see 1 in pic.

With the number formated like so, see 2 in pic:

So this gets Google Sheet at least storing a UK formatted number correctlyโ€ฆ BUTโ€ฆ

Now in AppSheet whether I tell it the format is a number or a phone, it just shows the number without a the 0 or the +44โ€ฆ (but shows the icons if set to phone to call or message which is what i want BUT this wonโ€™t work without either the leading 0 or +44 as part of the number)

See 3 in pic

Any clues as to how I need to store the data OR get the data presenting correctly?

(sorry for the reference to a single pic, says a new uesr canโ€™t add more than one pic per post;))

0 7 1,926
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

Instead of phone field, use text field. Then it adds the leading zero as well.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Set the spreadsheet column format to plain text.

Yeah so the problem with that (as mentioned in original question) is that if not a phone type then the phone and message icon wonโ€™t be shown in the app as it doesnโ€™t understand it is a phone number.

To also explain this further, I tried this suggestion just out of curiosity. Strangely AppSheet still removes the + if I format as a +44 number when stored?!?! So if i add +441234567890 it only stores it as 441234567890 which you wouldnโ€™t expect if the type is text?!?!

As this didnโ€™t work I have cleared all formatting from the Google Sheet and then set the field back to phone type. I canโ€™t set the international dialing format with a + but through the AppSheet it now lets the leading 0 get storedโ€ฆ hmmmโ€ฆ all good as long as donโ€™t need to store any kind of international number with the leading +.

The Phone column type does (some?) validation, and automatically configures the cal and send actions. If you use Text column, youโ€™d have to do any validation yourself, but you could yourself add custom actions for call and send.

If the spreadsheet column format is automatic or some numeric format, itโ€™s not AppSheet removing the leading plus, itโ€™s the spreadsheet. Make the spreadsheet column format plain text.

Note:

3X_8_0_806bf69b645928c54d5984c87733d62fe57b539f.png

OKโ€ฆ so to explain this a bit further as it may help others in the future reading thisโ€ฆ Yes I could set the column to be a Text value and validate it myself BUT (if my understanding is correct) the icons circled in the example below then do not appear as it doesnโ€™t know to handle the number as a phone number and therefore show the icons. Iโ€™d like the user to be able to press and call or press and message a contact like this.

Yes I have realised i am better of not trying to use Google Sheets as a correctly formated set of cells BUT just think of it as a repository with AppSheet doing the processing. So in my Google Sheet I have started to remove a lot of formatting and processing so we donโ€™t get the two applications effectively fighting with each otherโ€ฆ so iโ€™m guessing this is also part of the learning curve to arrive at?

Mega! Iโ€™m new hereโ€ฆ lolsโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space