Unable to load image data. Image may be missing or upload size may be too large for this device. The image may still be in the camera roll on the device

2 of my users have gone on site and between them created 6 new records. Each row can have up to 10 photos, each with an associated timestamp column.

The first user created 2 new records. The rows are present in Google Sheets, as are the timestamps for each photo. But against each photo column there is an error message of -

"Unable to load image data. Image may be missing or upload size may be too large for this device. The image may still be in the camera roll on the device."

When this user looks on his phone he can see the 2 records but the photos only show warning triangles. Image size in Appsheet is set default.

The second user created 4 new records. But these have disapeered, along with a coupld of dozen photos.

As they are both using iPhones, to me this sound like Apple running a App Cache clearing process. But any feedback from Appsheet would be appreciated

1 22 2,284
22 REPLIES 22

Steve
Participant V

Looks to me like the photos couldnโ€™t be uploaded (for reasons I canโ€™t explain). Consequently, the URLs AppSheet uses to retrieve the photos for display in the app are broken and point to nothing. I suspect the warning triangle is alerting you that the links are broken.

This entire issue sounds like it might be best handled through support@appsheet.com. There could be device specifics involved, or limits of your data store, maybe?

Hi @1minManager did you find a solution? Iโ€™m also having this problem now.
In my Google Sheet it only says: โ€œUnable to load image data. Image may be missing or upload size may be too large for this device.โ€
I found one interesting answer from @praveen

We did some testing and we think it was related to Apple running an App Cache clearing process. From memory, once you iPhone has less than 40% of free space it will randomly run through your Apps clearing the cache to free up space. If this happens while you have the App open, you might notice:
1 = Sync items disapeering
2 = If you have the App open but minimised, when you go back into youโ€™ll have to login in again

Weโ€™ve also recently noticed another little quirk with Apple. Some users where doing time entries on Wed/Thus yet they only appeared in the spreadsheet on Monday morning. So my hyposis is that on some phones a minimised app is having it internet connection blocked.

I hate Apple

Thank you @1minManager. Ours is a Samsung Galaxy S9, not Apple. I will try to find the reason.

Ok, try to confirm the image file exists and will open outside of Appsheets in Google Drive or whatever you use. If the file isnโ€™t there its probably a sync problem. If it wont open it might have been corrupted due to loss of internet. If it is there and opens, try re-adding to Appsheet to see if it fails again.

Hope this helps

mandar1
Participant II

@1minManager we have a new version of the iOS appโ€ฆcould you update to it from the App store and try if it solves your issue? (Appsheet iOS app v 14.2+)

Hi,

I have the similar issue after i updated my iPhone to version 16.0. My Appsheet version is 15.1. 

Can someone pls advise, whether its a iOS version problem? Or related to some other issue?

Rgds....

I have same issues. After update ios 16 can't take photo.waiting for developer fix that.

It is an issue with iOS16.  Support is looking into for me, but I think you raise a support ticket so they know it is more widespread than just me.

I am experiencing issues with iPhone users as well. Have logged with Support.

Have you/they updated to the latest version which was released a couple of days ago?  It should fix the issues.

Thankyou Ghost5. I have just this minute heard back from Support. 

I am having this issue as well, almost 50% of the time with one App. iOS 15.6 for the most part. Any suggestions or updates from anyone would be appreciated. Happened 38 of 95 attempts over this past weekend.

Appsheet have done the fix. Reload the Appsheet Platform on devices and it corrects the issue.

The app has been re-whitelabled with Appsheet version 15.2 based on advise that the file upload was fixed and now I can't get past the login authentication screen - I login and it brings me write back to the authentication screen again (repeats over and over). This is happening with iOS 15.6, 15.7, and 16.1 on my two iPhones. 

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this.

disconzi
Participant II

I was having the same problem for a while, randomly about 3% of pictures uploaded where giving this problem.

we funnelled  it down to some versions of ios, got in touch with support but nothing seems to be found.

we decided to try out disabling both "Save images to gallery" and "Allow image input from gallery", we have been more than 3 weeks without any problems (so far).

thought to share

SEUAdmin
Participant III

Has anyone been able to figure out the culprit of this?, I don't want to to turn off the features above as I have field users where they work in remote areas.

SkrOYC
Participant V

In our experience, this has happened with iOS users uploading .HEIC pics from their gallery

Checked multiple iphones, and my iphone, .heic has always been on and is sitll on, no problems with mine or others I checked. Problem seems to be random, now I have 5 users experiencing this

JBGreenpaths
Participant II

I'm having this issue with two users on completely different apps. There are 100 other users that are working fine. Wondering if a resolution has been found. Both users are using iOS (but so are 65 other users). 

Top Labels in this Space