Upcoming Feature: Custom Color Picker

Starting next week, we will be updating our default color palette and rolling out a feature that allows you to select a custom primary color for your app along with the new option to color the footer and header you may have seen released today. This has been a long-requested feature to add more customization for your apps. Here is the related blog post with a few more details.

Here is a preview of how itโ€™ll look:

Itโ€™ll first be rolling out to a subset of free users before rolling out to to paid users in order to fix any issues that may arise. Look forwarding to seeing different colors being used!

16 28 2,907
  • UX
28 REPLIES 28

Awesome!

I found a bug, I think.
2X_4_46912eaae3b5fad31ead5441f24958f3828951ec.png

The column headers are invisible now.

Iโ€™ll get a fix out for that for next time we release.

@Grant_Stead Youโ€™ll be able to use one of the palette colors if you want something nice without thinking too much about it

Haha, thanks for improving the platform!

Greatโ€ฆ Now Iโ€™m going to be locked up for two hours deciding which HEX best represents an asset control appโ€ฆ LoL

I have a question about this update. Will that โ€œCustomโ€ color palate be in format rules too, or just next to Primary Color?

The plan is just to change the Primary Color control palette for now. I might update the format rules to have the color picker to allow for custom colors but you can enter a hex code like #FFFFFF today it just requires an external color picker to get the hex code.

Ok, thanks!

Have a Wonderful Day! - Nick Barry RPC

I suppose you might as well for consistency across the platform. Love it.

@nico

I love the addition of the color picker. Probably long overdue.

In regard to the use of a picker to maintain consistency, I would like to suggest the capability be built in to โ€œsaveโ€ the most recent custom colors. It can become tedious to have to cut/paste Hex values to maintain consistent colors across the app (think numerous Format Rules).

Saving colors would be awesome!

completely 100%% agree with this statement. Doesnโ€™t appsheet have a google team behind it now? So many important things that need to be done for larger scale business. @Response_Team. I have to split our app into over 20 different ones. Would love a app that can handle everything. Just dreaming.

May be ranting IDK.

Can I please be among the subset of free users?

Wow!!

Our company colors include a blue that is just different enough from the pre-defined blue that you can tell even without them side by side. Finally I will stop getting asked if we can make the color our specific blue!!! I canโ€™t wait

@nico I donโ€™t see the dark and light theme choice in your screen shot. Is that just cut off the top?

Yes, itโ€™s just cut off from the screenshot โ€“ that option will still be there

Thatโ€™s great. I donโ€™t see it in my account, when that will be available?

Thanks!

@Jonathan1 itโ€™s starting to be rolled out this week, I expect in a week or so itโ€™ll be available to all users, maybe a little longer if we find bugs I need to fix. Iโ€™m increasing the availability as fast as I can.

@Fabian Yes, that seems like a good idea. This first change will only change the primary color picker but later I plan to replace the format rule color and itโ€™ll be possible to get those hex codes. As a one-off I can tell you the formatting rule cyan is either #01cebc in white or #19d0c0 in dark theme (but thereโ€™s no easy way to find this out yourself atm).

Thank you. I can see it now!

It would be nice to see the HEX values of the standard colors in Format Rules.
2X_b_bfe239ae7837db5402a579dd5d63d66c7d25f350.png
If we are using SVGs then we could use the same HEX colors.

Nice! ObQuestion: this will not affect the current, AppSheet-defined color scheme, right? So nothing will break if we donโ€™t need to use the color picker?

(Although we might be tempted to!)

From my experience with the previous changes to UI colors, so long as you donโ€™t select a new color your old design stays. I had an app rocking an old color option that is currently not available for the longest of time.

@nico and @morgan Will it be possible to eventually expose this color picker to app users. I have a scenario where I would like my users to be able to select a HEX code.

@Grant_Stead

Did you see these color pickerโ€™s by @Fabian?

I have, itโ€™s super cool!

I agree with @Grant_Stead - an onboard color picker would be very useful. Perhaps for the column type โ€œColorโ€?
Users could for example choose their own App color via USERSETTINGS.

I too agree! I remembered after I posted, @Grant_Stead saying he doesnโ€™t like to implement work-arounds and stick with AppSheet native functionality. I see his point.

Work-arounds should only be temporary until AppSheet includes them as a feature. But that means going back into the app ripping out the work-around and then re-implementing with the AppSheet native feature. It can become a lot of work.

Regardless, since the color-picker has been partially rolled out, I think weโ€™ll see it soon across the app (I hope with the ability to save custom colors )!

I like it, I love it, and I want more of it. Even if we couldnโ€™t get full custom color picker for our users, just letting us pick a small handful of colors for them to choose from would be nice. My company has 2 primary colors so allowing my users to pick one or the other along with maybe user definable dark theme would be amazing. I know the headache of having user pick able color would be designing the rest of your color theme around their choices. Donโ€™t want bright green and red if they change from dark to light or red and green buttons if the user wants a green app.