Upcoming product changes

Thanks all for your patience, as mentioned we are allowing customers couple more weeks to continue creating new workflows/report.

I am including couple of quick samples that may be helpful:

1. Have a workflow rule, create a similar bot - This video walks you through doing a point by point comparison between a workflow rule and a bot
  2. Intelligent Bot Creation - This video walks you through how AppSheet uses AI to capture user intent and help create bots within a few clicks, making you more productive.

Please continue to post your comments here.

3 Likes

For actions, the action type aka “Do This” setting of “Grouped: Execute a Process” that was added when Automation hit Preview is no longer available.

Why is this? I felt as if calling a process directly from a manually invoked action was a good way to bypass the complexity of setting up a workflow trigger text column and populating/clearing the field just to trigger a bot that watches on all changes and runs a conditional every time that rarely will be true.
Instead, an action-called process will only trigger automation when needed. I went to use this action type today after the abrupt discontinuation of new workflows and was disappointed to see this removal.

2 Likes

@Mike I know that the legacy workflows will be migrated onto the same system bots run on, @prithpal can provide a better answer for how legacy workflows will appear in the product. There shouldn’t be any effort on your part to migrate workflows to the new system.

3 Likes

That will be a big help. Very good to know.

We will be migrating all your existing workflow rules / reports to bots in the following weeks. The please see the help article for additional information.

2 Likes

@Ferret we felt that the current design of invoking a process directly as an action needs some more work hence made the decision to introduce it post GA. We will keep you folks posted as soon as its available @Dan_Bahir FYI

2 Likes

@Mauricio_Bick — could you describe the problem you are running into please. You should be able to define a bot with a scheduled event and then the appropriate task (email or whatever). @prithpal FYI

1 Like

Thanks for taking the feedback. I feel fine learning the new process just the suddenness of the change from “beta” to “you can only use this” in a single day. I have things to do by the end of this week that I need to be confident that they will work. I can’t hide that the recent changes and problems caused by the email channels makes me slightly more hesitant to try new features until required to.

Side note on the thing that has actually been the most frustrating thing with bots so far has been these dang suggestions for everything. I have trained myself from writing formulas to click the “save” button and if I am typing something very short I can type the name faster than the suggestions load. Then I go to click the “save” and it moves. I don’t think I have ever used the suggestions in other locations and I doubt I will ever use a suggestion here. Just cause if it autofills wrong I am gonna spend as much time changing as I would setting up a new one. And most of the time if I read the suggested view or action they’re not things I need at all making more complex and specific actions and views. Would love the ability to remove all suggestions cause they’re more likely to create something I don’t want accidentally because they’re 1 click.

7 Likes

YES! YES! YES!

6 Likes

To satisfy those who have different levels of skill and knowledges to the AppSheet, it could be useful that we have account settings to turn on/off the “suggestion” globally under the account when we work and edit app.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback folks, will definitely explore options / user preferences for suggestions.

3 Likes

It (suggestion) will be found useful for those who just get onboard appsheet and start to learn, but once the knowledges reaches out to the certain level, suggestion become noise, honestly speaking. Dont take me wrong, suggestion should be powerful and helpful, but depending on to whome.

6 Likes

What am I doing wrong?

Has this happened yet? I can’t cerate workflows the good old-fashioned way. I need to create a workflow ASAP.

Thank you.

Hi @Austin_Lambeth we will learn and adjust to get the right balance for the suggestions — new users vs experienced. Your feedback on this is useful. The goal is to get close to something like Google search auto-complete where it doesn’t get in your way but it is useful even for people who search a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks for the presentation today and hard work!

Thanks for the presentation. I just used Automation for the first time and managed to create a Bot that solved a problem I’ve been tackling for a couple of days. I did find it a little hard to keep track of the relationships between the four “elements”, but I think it will take a few more tries to start getting used to it.

These helped:

2 Likes

Honestly, I think putting the “save” at the top so it doesn’t move would help cause right now they are in the way only for the automation tab. All the other suggestions are in places that you can generally avoid and I feel like this solution would be least cumbersome to implement.
(please ignore terrible photoshopping)

The conditioning to not hit enter plus moving the save is what causes this for me personally. In most programs, you hit enter when you’re done and you hit shift+enter if you need new lines but appsheet doesn’t have a way of saving a formula via only keys. I should probably make a whole feature request for a shortcut for saving formulas :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Austin. Please let us know how these suggestions could be more relevant for you.