Update all Rows where there are columns with ...

Colin1

Update all Rows where there are columns with Application Formulas

I would like to please know how I cam update all the rows in any table I have, such that all Appplicaiton Formulas will trigger in all rows where a column with them exist? This should update the values regardless if it is a table column or a virtual column.

0 8 702
8 REPLIES 8

tony1

@Colin You might want to look into reference actions, which run on a set of rows:

tony1

A sync will update all app formulas.

Colin1

I am attempting to have additional columns in my spreadsheet for where virtual columns would normally go. So for example, I usually have a column for the Tableโ€™s Label.

Previously I had a virtual columns like:

VC_LABEL_EXTENDED

(Prefix VC_ = Virtual Column)

but now I have added a spreadsheet column:

AFC_LABEL_EXTENDED

(Prefix AFC_ = Appsheet Forumla Column)

They would run a Application Forula like:

=CONCATENATE( [KEY_ID],

" - ", [DOCUMENT_NAME], " - ", [VERSION] )

It seems that when storing the value in a Virtual Column would update its data all the time, when storing the value in a Spreadsheet Column it would not update unless the record was opened, modified (โ€˜forcingโ€™ the app forumla to recalculate), then saved.

(The idea of putting what would be Virtual Columns into the Spreadsheet as Columns is that I can use only one Appsheet application to create/calculate and manage the tableโ€™s data. I can then have other Appsheet Applications use that tableโ€™s data, without having to re-write Virtual Columns in all those other Applications as well. Hence the example of a common Table Label Column. Its a crude way of attempting reuse, avoiding concentrating all my application requirements into a one Huge, Super โ€œfrankensteinโ€ Appsheet Application with all the huge performance and maintenance problems that brings.)

@Colin Yeah, only a sync will get the scope of updates you want.

Colin1

A sync did not seem to force the updating of values on the Spreadsheet Column though.

Ahhhโ€ฆ Iโ€™m not aware of a way to update spreadsheet formulas en masse from AppSheet. Iโ€™d suspect youโ€™ll need to use a timed trigger from the spreadsheet side to look for and apply changes.

Colin1

Actually it is the column in the spreadsheet which is being updated with the Appsheet Formula. (Not the spreadsheet formula, but that is a later questionโ€ฆ)

Top Labels in this Space