[Upload file] Control the File Name

Cortex
Participant IV

Hello AppSheet Community,

I tried to make a File Managing [upload/download] inside an App.

Do someone knows if it’s possible to have control of the generated filename when it’s uploaded?

Normal behavior is : [name of the column].[random number sequence ].[extension file]

Is there a way to control some of the parameters, or just keep the original files name?

Thanks in advance,

3 11 4,943
11 REPLIES 11

As far as I know, there have been bunch of threads and post right here in this community, asking the same questions. But answer for now is there is no mechanism to change the file names.
When we upload files, Appsheet re-name uniquely all the time.

I remember there might have been feature requests posted before.

Yeah, i’m sure it was an old question already asked.

i will try to find the request feature post.

Hi, there is there any update regarding this query? I do have similar challenges with regards to the filename via File Upload. Many thanks

Hello every one i have some idea how to do File Managing and control of the generated file name after it’s uploaded.
My idea is Change PDF file name with names from list with Google Scripts, so i create columns with old and new names and would like rename files on GoogleDrive with Google Scripts, after rename files set value “TRUE” in column “D”(renamed). Colom “D”(renamed) help me show the right column in AppSheet(Show column whit Old name before rename file and Show column whit New name after rename file).
And also have help to protect rename renamed files again & again.
column “File Name Key” is a Key beacose File Name have to be unique to avoid overwrite file, when you try create the same “File Name Key” AppSheet show warning
but i don’t have enough knowledge about “Google Apps Script”, so i find something similar in that blog post:https://yagisanatode.com/2018/11/16/google-apps-script-how-to-change-the-file-name-of-non-native-fil..., and here: Change PDF file name with names from list with Google Scripts - Stack Overflow ,
I will very appreciate your help to solve my problem and idea. Thank You!

Hello every one i spend some time and figure out how to write “google apps-script” and get next result(picture 1), and switch on timer(picture 2) how often run my script, depend from your demand every 5 min or every 1 hour.

John_Kent1
Participant I

Im keeping the entire file name by starting the name with period and not using anyother periods in the file name. This adds the entire file name to the unique id created by appsheet.

so if I had file named like this 1234.location.06.03.2021, it would pretty much scrap the entire file name on upload.

if I name it like this

.1234_location_06_04_2021

It adds that entire file name to the unique id .

Nice idea. My problem was not only keeping original file name, I would like create it by value from other columns, and come across that appSheet have limited number of symbols up to 10 or 15, it wasn’t enough for me, so I use google script to solve it

Dub_App
Participant I

My workaround is to ask the user to upload a ZIP file (or ARC) contaning the file whose name needs to be preserved (because who suffers the renaming is the ZIP file).

Cons: obviously, two additional steps (zip & unzip)
Pro: the ZIPs benefits: quicker upload, less storage used, and the chance to save multiple files in one column/upload to the app

JPAlpano
Participant V

With the new integration with Google Apps Script, there is now a way .
See the Tips & Resources below:
How to control or rename uploaded files in a [file] column 

is there a way to do it with microsoft?

Top Labels in this Space