Upload new image or copy

I have an image column in my table, which works well to upload and then view pictures. However, to avoid users repeatedly taking a photo of the same ‘defect’ I have inserted a column of type ‘text’ with the option of selecting between ‘adding new photo’, ‘use the one from the previous record’, or ‘no photo’ [albeit in fewer words!!]. Adding this button is easy, and I can also conditionally show the image object only if the aforementioned selection = ‘Upload new photo’.
However, where I’m stuck is what my expression needs to be to cater for the 2nd option [copy from previous]. I added an if statement in the formula box for the image column, around retrieving the image path from the previous record if user selects ‘copy from previous record’, but I don’t know what my else statement needs to be to cater for the option of uploading a new photo, so my image object just disappeared off my screen. What to do …!
many thanks for any ideas of where I’m going wrong

0 9 640
9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

Not sure if i got you , and i am not really experienced.

The using existing pictures option, i suppose you wanna show up a list of available pictures.
To be able to choose a pic from a list, the type of the Column Images should be a Enum or Enum List.
Under Data Validity (Valid If) expression would be:

SELECT(TableName[Images],TRUE)

I am wondering if you would need to create a extra column to be able to choose the pictures and copy the value to the column Images.
Maybe it could be with an Virtual Column called [ListOfImages], and a expression for the Initial Value of column [Images]:

IF([Upload Image e.g. of defect]=“Use Previous”,[Images]=[ListOfImages],"")

Not sure if it helps

hey, thanks for the advice, and apologies if my description wasn’t clear. Essentially, when highlighting a defect I want the user to be able to choose to add a photo which is stored with that record, viewable by others. However, if the defect has already been identified/photographed then I’d rather they choose form the existing photos, rather than fill up my S3 storage.

I was looking at it too simply, trying to do with one or two objects/columns, so I changed that. Following your advice, my data model now includes the following 4 objects:

1. User selection ‘Upload image’ ‘buttons’ [type: text, with list]
  2. ‘Images’ object for photo upload [type: image]
  3. Use ‘previous’ [type: enum, from the list of available photos referenced in the table]
  4. Chosen picture [if statement of the above two chosen based on the selection of the Upload Image button, as shown below]

item 1 is always shown, 2 and 3 are conditionally shown based on item 1, while item 4 is hidden [and item 4 represented the aggregated output, used elsewhere]

Many thanks
Diarmuid

Further to my rather triumphant summary above, I have since realised that whilst this method works well in theory, it actually duplicates all photos, as each time a new picture is uploaded it is named by column reference in storage. Seeing as this is now straddling two columns [‘Images’, plus ‘chosen picture’] then the system saves it twice, once with each column name. Can I prevent this, and only upload the Chosen picture column item [i.e, inhibit upload for the Images column]?

Hi, i imagined also this
That is why i told you if you could make the column [Chosen Picture] as a Virtual Column.
Then make the input from this Virtual Colmn [Choosen Picture] to be copied to the Column [Images].
You could make this copy by setting an initial formula in the Column[Images]:

IF([Upload Image e.g. of defect]=“Use Previous”,[Images]=[Choosen Picture],"")

I didn’t try this solution, but you could give a trial.

You can try also writing a formula in the suggested values. I never used this field, maybe it helps also.

SELECT(TableName[Images],TRUE)

[Images] is where the new picture is selected. I don’t think I can add a formula to that without knocking out my photo taking option. I’ll rejig it and try again. thanks

Yeah i know, but you can force a value on it with an initial formula.
In the end the picture is just a text in the spreadsheet with the folderpath/picname.jpg or png.

I don’t think the initial value will help a lot, as the ‘problem’ [i.e. photo duplication] only arises when the user chooses to upload a new photo, so the [Images] column will have passed from initial value to selected photo value by the time it does anything.
Having the [Images] column as a photo selection input works well, as does the selection of the previous, plus the aggregation of these inputs to produce [ChosenImage], albeit with the duplication issue.
I tried to use a VirtualColumn for [Images] so a photo can be taken, in the hope that only the [ChosenImage] column image gets saved, but I cannot use a VC without an app formula, so I’m back to ‘real’ columns, and feel like I’m going round in circles …

Further ideas very welcome. Thanks a lot

Hi, my last trial on this !

Two tables:
Defects
Fotos

Defects[Foto] is a Ref from Fotos[FotoID] = must have same value.

On table Defects it looks like this
3X_0_8_088ef639c90667f36677efd7f054a17daf2357ff.png

On table Fotos it looks like this

The Defects Form

When clicking on Foto, User can choose existing one or creating a new.
This happens thanks to Ref.

Make column [Foto] not required so if user doesn’t want, he won’t add a picture.
You won’t need column Yes, Choose Previous, No.
If you click in New , you will be redirected to the form of the table Fotos.

Hope it helps!

thanks a lot. I was actually unaware of this ‘ref’ option, so I’ve definitely learned something new here. I like that, and it works. thanks so much

Top Labels in this Space